Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CT brain in a pt with multiple ring enhancing les - rftrft609
lesions .. now if this was the CT & the pt has focal sings & fever & we accordingly treated him /her with sulfadiazin Pyrimethamine & still no response the lesion persisted ..

what is the next best step ?
a.brain biopsy
b.brain irradiation
c.start albendazole
d.do brain MRI
A multiple ring enhacing lesion include toxoplasmosisn cns lymphoma .after givin septran if lesion persists then do brain biopsy .i am not sure though
yes I think you r right but what confused me why won't we just go through treatment ..without taking a brain biopsy which is a hard thing to do
I will do MRI to see if the lesions are mostly located in the white matter or subcortical areas etc to narrow ddx of abscess, metastases, lymphoma, glioma, MS etc.. before proceeding biopsy.
these informations r some what obvious on CT
rftrft609,
for brain enhancing lesions on CTscan we should focus on the following
Toxoplasmosis
Lymphoma
Brain tumor/metastasis
Brain abscess
Cysts

I think it is wrong to start treating for toxoplasmosis without a thorough work up of the patient. Anyway, from the options you enumerated, you cannot irradiate, what of if it is an abscess? Do we irradiaate abscesses? you should not give albendazole [treatment for round worms] you should not do MRI, CT gives a better result than MRI when it comes to brain imaging. I will take Brain biopsy from the options given, but not without a thorough work up.
It sounds brain biopsy is a better choice to me. Sounds....
we start Tx w/o biopsy (right after the CT) ONLY if we have pt with HIV. In all other cases we do biopsy first and then Tx.
alex i agree with u on this . but still answer must be biopsy
that what i said - answer is Biopsy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »