Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to Pavan: - hello2007
hey,Pavan;
superb reply to andremed20s post.........

but a couple of questions still to be answered:
1.whats the difference between a designated priliminary and non designated priliminary?

2.if one wants to do general surgery residency; but does end up doing a prelim. surgery;can he apply next year for gen surg. pgy1?......or he is now eligible only for gen.surg. pgy2 positions?..........which may be even tougher to get than gen.surg.pgy1 cat.....isnt it?

3.can one apply to cat.internal med.pgy1 after doing prelim surgery?

i hope you answer these questions and ease our confusion.........

thanks for your previous post.
1.whats the difference between a designated priliminary and non designated priliminary?
I dont know the answer sorry.

2.if one wants to do general surgery residency; but does end up doing a prelim. surgery;can he apply next year for gen surg. pgy1?......or he is now eligible only for gen.surg. pgy2 positions?..........which may be even tougher to get than gen.surg.pgy1 cat.....isnt it?

you can apply again for categorical - PGY1. only thing is you will be wasting the PGY1 you already completed.

Categorical is tough but it is not impossible. But it will DEFINITELY becomes easier if you ready to spend 1 year in PGY1(Prelim) and take chances. This PGY1 will give you 1 YEAR ACGME accredited training, CONTACTS, LORS. So rather waiting(if you do not get Cat Surgery) for one year, apply for prelim surgery.

as this question is very interesting, you can look this from a different angle. I once heard every trainee has some funding quota. if you use it once, you cannot use it. like once you do PGY1, you will not be eligible to do PGY1 is the same specialty or something like that. so this info negates my previous answer.

Please try to send an email to a program director in surgery. usually they will be happy to respond.

3.can one apply to cat.internal med.pgy1 after doing prelim surgery?

same rule applies here. May be you can( if there is no funding quota issue)
hey Pavan,
thank you for your response.
I will surely mail some surgery program directors and get the info about funding quota issue.

thank you again for your prompt reply.......wish you all the luck i can..
bye.
hey a designated positions are the preliminary surgery positions given to individuals who have been matched into an advanced position like anasthesia or ophth.who are required to do 1 yr of prelim.in any field.by showing the contract to the program you can do 1 yr prelim there.i hope that helped.
just 1 point to add to the very good reply..

fundin qouta issues do work against us - but most rich and big programs wont mind the pinch. fundin covers 6-7 yrs of gme and not more.. bottom line if u really want surg try for categ but dont walk away from a prelim..
Thank you karan_dr and doc_droc_apurva........actually I was surprised to see my post from last match season on the forum coming up suddenly!
Well the answers are very correct and infromative.......thanks again to Pavan too!
Also Apurva:can funding issue work against a prelim spot ?
As I heard that prelim positions have fundings for as less as one year too..........IS THAT CORRECT?
Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »