Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets discuss second looks - kevinmd
I had a few queries. Hoping someone would be able to help me.
1. When is the best time to schedule them?
2. What do we wear during second looks? Dress clothes or suits or white coats?
3. Should I ask to meet with the PD?
4. Should I send a thank you note after the second look? and to whom?
5. Does it look desperate?
1. Jan or Feb. Obviously before ROL is due.
2. Business casual. If you're a guy, you could probably pass on the tie, but nice shirt, pants.
3. No, unless you did not meet him/her on IV day. If they were out of town, maybe then it would be appropriate, but otherwise, no.
4. Who ever you talked to to arrange it. Likely the PC or a chief resident, and who ever took care of you during the day, which is likely the chief resident, or another resident.
5. Depends. Second looks are for you to evaluate the program, not for the program to evaluate you. If you show up trying to suck up, then yes. If you show up, say, hey, I wanted to get a better feel, sit in on more of the lectures and rounds, have some more questions, then no.
That's a very thorough answer and cleared a lot of my doubts. Thanks a lot blueamg. I really appreciate your response!!
hey blue,

I had a question. At one of my interviews, PD was out of town. Later emailed me to apologize and told me to set up a phone-call with him if I had questions. I did & we talked. I sent the PD a christmas card to say thank you.

It's a very far drive & I'd rather not go on a second-look. But it's one of my top3 programs & I don't want to look disinterested. I feel like I've done a LOT to show interest till now. Do I still have to go on a second look?
Second looks are for YOU to evaluate the program. If you have your mind made up, there is no need to do one.

It is unfair for programs to fault you for not attending second looks, for the reasons you mentioned. Some places are not close to where you live. Some places you would have to fly to, pay for a hotel, perhaps rent a car, um, $$$. Time - a lot of people are busy. I'm still enrolled, and our school only gives us so much time off for IVs. I would have to take time off from a clerkship to do second looks in Feb. I live in Chicago. We are supposed to get 6 inches of snow or something. I assure you flights will be cancelled at O'hare and Midway. Could you imagine, the PC does all this stuff for me to do a second look, my flight gets cancelled, and I have to cancel the second look!

I digress, if you have your mind made up, you don't need a second look.

If you want more opinions on this, you can try SDN. It is a topic discussed on there, and there are PDs and attendings who will voice their opinions.

Most atimes a second look doesnt change your ranking.
it is more for you to make up your mind than the program to evaluate you.
If it is close to your home then u have nothing to loe (ofcos if u come across as obnoxious u will kill your chances).
if it requires you taking a flight then not worth it
I definitely agree with what blueamg just mentioned. It's very time-consuming and expensive to go to these second looks, especially at this time where the weather is bad so there's no guarantee that you will get to your destination without any holdups. Another thing about second looks is that sometimes they can ask you questions right on the spot and if you don't answer the questions properly, that would actually affect your chances of matching, which would really suck. That's what I heard anyway. The way I see is that unless you can afford it and have the time to do so, second looks shouldn't be something to stress too much about.
i dont think if it is going to help at all...draining mre money out of our pockt and make us look dsprte! none of my frnds who did it last yr got even high enuf rank, some were removed from final rank. it is a very compet game and they have many high qualified apps to choose....why shud they care abt us liking them in a 2nd look? it was an old trick for while back for those with low score to show ther intrst, so programs who cudnt fill ther slot wud like them more....but not now and not any more. it surely makes us look odd and desprte than anything else. program dont care any more abt such tricks to affect ther opinion when they have many high qualified apps.
Thank you guys for all your responses. I'm not going to the second look with hopes that it will help me. I want to make up my mind as I'm conflicted between 2 programs on my top 2, but at the same time I don't want to look desperate.

@rajji, How do your "friends" know that they were removed from the final rank after second look? May be they weren't in the rank list to begin with. Please don't provide wrong information.
If a programme calls you for second look, I feel you should go.
However, if you have to take a flight & go long distance - even the PD would be considerate about the time/money/energy spent, so I am not entirely sure they will even call.
If you want to schedule a second look, get prepared to be closely monitored. If you are confident in your field & ready to field any questions, then go by all means.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »