Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of IMGs ? - yesmle260
what is the scope for IMGs in future. planning to write step 1 in march, so most likely i wont be ready with step2cs and ck by september 2014. so should be applying in 2015 sept. rumors are that IMGs will not be matched from 2015 since AMGs will be more than the residency spots coz of the new medical schools which started couple years back resulting in more AMGs graduatng in 2015. any truth to it ?
Oh this topic again....

The number of amg and do will increase, but the number of residency spots will too. In 2000 the number of pgy1 was a little more than 20000, now it is almost 27000.
The important thing is that primary care is on focus now, so they will need more physicians.
@futuremghboy : Yes the number of AMGs and DOs are increasing but there is no guarantee that the number of residency spots will increase. This requires government finding and will only happen via legislative approval.

@yesmle260 Right now the future looks tough but if residency spots are increased then the level of difficulty will remain the same.
@yesmle

Nobody on this forum or even people in the system know whatz gonna happen in next 2-3 years....anyone who tells u otherwise lying.......if u r done with steps n have applied for the match there is nothing u can do about it now.....if u r planing to take usmles I ll advise to have a back up plan
thank you for your responses reminder 12ka4 futuremghboy

i just checked the bill for the increase in residency spots. it says the prognosis for the bill is 0%. so it means the chances of increasing residency spots is very unlikely.

@12ka4...already more than half way through step 1 prep, so will go ahead with it and decide based upon my score about what to do next
nobody knows the future, but we can look to the past and predict the future. The number of AMG has always been increasing but the number of spots too. This ,in fact, is old news.

http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f466940...ta2013.pdf

go to page V and you will see it.

Futuremgh boy is correct. There were 2000
New spots last year. AMGs make up around 16,500 applicants and will increase this yr. we are
Competing with USimgs an DOs, and US AMGs will exceed
Residency slots by 2016. That is 1st yr enrollment. It is getting harder but in 4-5
Yrs it will be nearly impossible.
i feel that the ecfmg or whoever should give credible information about future coz there will be many medical students and graduates who will start preparing and wasting their time if it is impossible to get residency spots
I don't think ecfmg knows anything more than you and I know.
Just do you part, the things in your control, do well in exams, USCE, make you application competitive. I do not believe the door will slam shut to IMGs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »