Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dilemma about ranking FM or IM program higher - khaleesi
I only got 2 IM iv... and 4 FM iv in total..

I liked FM programs more than IM programs after I finished my interviews but while I was starting with my applications I wanted to do IM more than FM...

Now I'm really having trouble ranking community-based IM programs with bad PDs higher than the other good FM programs.

But somewhere down the line I think I might regret not doing IM... so any suggestions plz?

Anyone with similar dilemmas? Should I rank FM programs with good training and teaching environment higher or Should I rank IM programs higher because I want to do IM?

What are your future career goals? Hospitalist? Primary care? Fellowship?
Primary Care and fellowship in Geriatrics are what i would like to do... I could very well pursue these even if I am trained as a Family Physician...
I dont see myself working as a hospitalist for very long... I enjoy ambulatory care and clinics more....
I dont like peds but I could see myself doing OB.. if i match into FM...

So what would u do @blueamg?
if you are interested in fellowship in geriatric id definitely go for the family medicine programs especially if you really dont care to be a hospitalist and prefer outpatient care.
Honestly does not matter even if you want to just do outpatient/ambulatory care. If you do not care for OB or Peds THAT much, than why bother with family med? You can very well do Internal Med and work at ambulatory clinic.

My advice would be to go with your gut feeling about the program. I feel that a sign of a good program is where residents seem happy (something that might be hard to figure out from just one visit, but have to use your gut feeling).

Regardless of the choice you make, I am glad you like primary care Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »