Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My chances - s_s
Hello friends,

I am needed some advice about my score and the specialties to choose.

My score stats are:
step 1 218 (2nd attempt),
step 2 226 (1st attempt) ,
step 2 cs pass (1st attempt).

Observership at a private clinic in IM. (1-2 Months)
YOG 2010
Green card holder.
I want to know about my chances in the match.

And I want to know about specialities:
In FM:
(A) how much of peads do we have? ( I like kids, I don't like peads )
(B) what are the further fellowship/ career options?

In IM:
© How is "social" life? Is the residency more hectic than FM?
(D) What is a hospitalist?

If anyone can give some insight into these matters, it would be well appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Over a hundred views.. no replies?
you have very low chances.

just read the thread for IM invites this year.
also look at the report for NRMP posted on here.
failures decrease your chance by like 75%.

you need above average marks to even be looked at.
people do not answer because they do not want to hurt your feeling, on this forum is like this, if it is bad news no one wants to tell you. they just refer you to research more. and sometimes some one comes along the way , encourages you and after you start reading storeis, marks, CV like your self and you realize is damn hard to match into IM these days.
@s_s quit whining .... this forum is a two way street, you help others help. Besides your questions demonstrate that you have not done the basic research.
The NRMP reports a chance of 35% for an US-IMG with an attempt in Step 1. Remember also that this number if for the IMG that submitted a ROL and not everyone does that. So the real number is worst than that.
If you hadn't any attempt it would be 60%.

See here: http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f466940...F-File.pdf
@ boardreview and @futuremghboy .. thanks.
@sick... thanks for the help. I have done so much research, that I got saturated and needed to ask is out load.
clear step 3 and apply again. but try to find a backup plan. don't waste your precious years of life. there are many options in healthcare in US. so google them too
@s_s
You have a very good chance in psychiatry if you can do observership in it. A friend of mine got a late interview in psychiatry after it dawned on her that she's not getting any invitations from IM & FM. She is 2008 grad, GC, 220 step1 at 2nd attempt, 209 2ck.usce in FM.

A 2nd friend of mine just signed her prematch offer in IM with a reputable program just because she has a strong connection. All her scores are below 200 with attempts.
My point...make contacts....it helps a ton. I called this same program but the PC said my scores are not good enough while I atleast have 30 points above all my friend score with same YOG.
MAKE CONNECTIONS AND APPLY WISELY

My point. ...mmake
@down21 you mentioned that there are many options in healthcare. Could you elaborate on that if you don't mind?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »