Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
externship from UK instead of USA - saharan
Hi

I am Indian FMG. I have done step 1 and attempting CK in August this year. I want to know if EXTERNSHIP or OBSERVERSHIP from UK is of any value for the residency application or if USCE is the only way to go.
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
of very little value
As far as I know, clinical experience is clinical experience, no matter where you get it. Because, medicine is same everywhere. Then, why this obsession with only clinical experience from US. The answer is this:
1) USCE helps in knowing the "US health system in particular."
2) gives you exposure to rare genetic diseases found mostly in US and also diseases common in temperate climates.
3) has more credibility than clinical experience in other countries because of "trust issues." PDs in the US may have tough time in understanding if clinical experience in some foreign country is real or fake.
4) Last, but not least English and culture shock, etc.

Note: The most important point here is the 3rd point.

Clinical experience in English speaking countries with similar weather conditions (temperate climates; I mean similar common diseases ;-) and similar education system (e.g., European countries, especially UK) have "similar" value as USCE. For example, physicians from UK can receive partial residency requirement waiver. Read the 3rd paragraph in the medical licensure section of this link, http://bma.org.uk/developing-your-career...abroad/usa
In short, I say UK clinical experience may not be equal to USCE, but is closer to USCE. It is definitely not of little value, but you have to overcome the trust issues of PDs by doing externship at some internationally famous hospital in UK. If you do externship at some private clinic in UK which the PD never heard in his life, the value of your UK externship may be similar to externship done in any other part of the world to that "particular" PD (because of trust issues, not because of the nature of externship).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »