Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi - sanjay2975
hi,just now i hve got step1 score,191(first attempt).i hve done mbbs and diploma in clinical patholgy.wid this score,shd i proceed...any reply if i get will b thankful
Hello,
I don't want to discourage you but your chances are slim. I will tell you my case. I am MBBS with YOG 2004 . Step 1- 223, step 2-234, cs - pass in second attempt. step 3- 215. In USA for last three years staying home trying to get clinical experience. This is my fourth attempt for residency match. Only one interview. But I don't have lot of hopes from it. I have already spent $10,000 for this match process with no result. I am ECFMG certified but cannot work in USA in any position. I have started looking for alternatives and presently doing MBA in healthcare management. So, to summarize, if you have lot of money, you can definitely continue, complete the steps and get great scores, go for postdoctoral fellowship or phd or MPH, make contacts and start trying for residency. I will keep on trying for residency every year and try to make my application strong. But, residency is not end of the world. Think about what you want in life. Everything depends on money and contacts. Thanks.
Yes, proceed.

You might not make it into the most competitive of specialties, but FM/Psych/Peds you've got a shot at. While I respect the difficulties matchpossibility has had this doesn't mean you won't make it. You just need to aim considerably higher on Step 2. Your personality, work ethic, and (as in all of life) connections will make a difference. I have known many who matched with this type of score. The road won't be easy, but you DO HAVE A CHANCE and a fighting one. Best wishes.

HCS
Thanks for ur precious advice dear friend
Dear Matchpossibility
I am old IMG stuggling for residency , my scores are very poor and I have attempt in Ck .
would you share e mail or contact number for more advice .
thanks from CA
Hello Systolia,
I would like to help but not sure it is safe to post email in this forum. You can ask whatever you need on the forum and I would answer as best as possible.
systolia - if you need others help, then kindly provide your contact information so that you can be reached.
Hey Sanjay,

I don't want to take away hope, but I tend to agree with matchpossibility. As a non-U.S. IMG, the odds of you successfully getting a residency position with that step 1 score is not good. What specialty are you hoping to apply for? In saying this, it is definitely not impossible at all. Non-U.S. IMG's have definitely managed to get into residency programs with your score. Basically you will need a very strong application profile (eg. great Step 2 CK score, good clinical experience, great LOR's and personal statement, etc). I guess you really need to decide if you're determined to make the effort! Otherwise, you may want to think of alternatives now before proceeding any further.

All the best,

AussieMD
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »