Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIT q please help with this q - acestep
@acestep
Q1) What is best (screening) test for detecting pat with iron overload? ( or in other word "Which of the following laboratory values is seen in this disease?"Smile
let me give you choice

a) Serum transferrin saturation
b) Serum transferrin saturation
c) Serum transferrin saturation
d) Serum transferrin saturation

Q2) When iron "stores" are increased the transferrin synthesis?
a) INC
b) DEC
@cardio I did not get your q1 as all choice as same?
for q2 it is b increase iron stores, lead to decrease transferin
Don’t worry u not he only one cannot understand my q. But end of this post u will.

"Transferrin saturation" INC in pat hemochromatosis. Question is WHY?

2 setp test widely available use for its determination.
Transferrin saturation calculated by using-> serum IRON
AND one of the following;

-Total iron binding capacity, unsaturated iron binding “OR” transferrin level.
Serum conc u know its elevated in hemochromatosis ( IT HAS BEEN LESS RELIABLE test transferrin sat) - > transferrin sat hv more than 90% sensitivity for hemochromatosis and I guess that is why poppy also mention in pg 487 in his bible the “Transferrin saturation best test”
That been said now and you ans my 2nd qs. You and me know that transferrin downregulate ( bye bye down) and your serum iron -> INC with 2 arrow UP in your FA pg 357 “%transferrin saturation (serum iron/TIBC)”
and u see one arrow going down "Transferrin or TIBC (indirectly measures transferrin)" FA

Q here asking u """"Which of the following laboratory values is seen in this disease?""""
YOU WILL ANS -> * decreased ratio of serum iron to TIBC *

Crystal clear

thank you so much cardio, I really appreciate your time and nice explanationSmile
@cardio i appreciate your time, but I still never get it, if serum iron increase and TIBC decrease, will the ratio be decreased?? why??ahhhhhhhh I tried much to get it but my brain could not handle it, I am so sorry dear
I think A is the answer .... agreed with Cardio
@acestep, before u thank me lets make sure u understand it and my ATPs not wasted hereSad

A 49 y/ o visited you and complaining of fatigue, low libido, and moderate generalized joint pains of approximately 1yr duration. The joint pains were mostly in the fingers, wrists, hips, knees, and ankles. His parents, both dead, were born in Scotland but emigrated to Canada in early adulthood. The patient had no siblings and did not smoke or drink. He occasionally took acetaminophen for his joint pains, but otherwise was not receiving any medication. An uncle had died of liver cancer about 10 years previously. In addition to stiffness and slight swelling over some joints, the physician noted grayish skin pigmentation, most prominent in exposed parts, and for that reason referred the patients to an internist, who also noted that the liver edge was firm and palpable just below the costal margin. The internist suspected hereditary hemochromatosis and ordered appropriate laboratory tests as well as x-rays of the hands, hips, knees, and ankles. X-rays of the joints showed loss of articular cartilage, narrowing of joint spaces, and diffuse demineralization. You do liver bipsy and histo exam revealed moderate periportal fibrosis amd aggregates of ferritin micelles was visible as golden brown granules in both parenchymal and bile duct epithelial cells noted.
Lab
Normal reference values in parentheses bz i want be nice to u i provide that as gift ( but in real exam u have to click on it to get this value and that take time

Hb, 120 g/L (133–162 g/L, males)
RBC, 4.6 × 10*12/L (4.30–5.60 × 10*12/L, males)
Glucose (fasting), 5 mmol/L (4.2–6.1 mmol/L)
Alanine aminotransferase [ALT], 1.8 μkat/L or 105 units/L (0.12–0.70 μkat/L or 7–41 units/L)
Plasma iron, 50 μmol/L (7–25 μmol/L)
Total iron-binding capacity, 55 μmol/L (45–73 μmol/L)
Transferrin saturation with iron 82% (16–35%)

Q1)Whats dx?
Q2)What in lab value most important part made u to dx it?

___________________________78sec like exam________________________________
@cardio 1.diagnosis here hemoch 2 increase serum iron and increase transf saturationSmile
@cardio

Thank you so much for your time and effort. Honestly i am also having problem understanding this if the correct answer is A. I wonder if you can tell me if in hemochromatosis TIBC is elevated or decreased? My understanding is that Serum transferrin decreases and TIBC which means "unbound transferrin" will also decrease. On the other side serum iron will increase, therefore both are in favor of increasing the Iron/TIBC ratio. Am i right? thanks again Smile
@cardio, from all conversations from above, double increase in serum iron concentration to decrease in TIBC so ratio is decreases... Is this the inference? But even iam feeling ratio should increase please explain. Thank you...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »