Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIT q please help with this q - acestep
@ACESTEP, do you have the answer to this q and explanation, please?
In severe iron overload states transferrin saturation can approach 100 percent
Transferrin saturation – The ratio of plasma iron to transferrin (TIBC), when expressed as a percent, is the transferrin saturation — normal transferrin saturation is 20 to 50 percent.
so, A, I think is not correct
a, for 2 nd q .. a
Hi guys;

ANSWER IS BBBB.
considering the answer A, it is incorrect, in hemochromatosis serum iron rises either due to increased absorption from the gut as in Hereditary hemochromatosis , or iron overload due to repititive blood transfusion.

at the same time the body is trying to compensate for the increase in iron absorption by decreasing its transport, so it decreases transferrin production, in other words it decreases total iron binding capacity

so when we come to the ratio mentioned in the question " serum iron to TIBC" the numerator "serum iron" is increasing and the denominator "TIBC" is decreasing. Meaning the ratio is incresing.

serum Fe
-------------
TIBC

I had to google it up to be sure about the answer, and I found alot of studies correlating ceruloplain levels to hemochromatosis and all of them state that it is indeed decreased in hemochromatosis.

@ahmedkarrar

I agree with you. As I have mentioned earlier I am pretty sure B is correct. Ceruloplasmin is a carrier protein for Cu which is produced by the liver and because of impaired hepatic function in this patient (pat has jaundice) its production is decreased.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »