Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passed CS!! - docd
I got my results first day of this reporting period and Thank God I passed!! I'm so happy and ready to help if any questions. My supports to some of my friends I met here and practiced who didn't pass!!! Sad. I'm here to help.
Congrats,Can you please share the resources u used for exam?
Study materials used:
1. FA
2. (I'll comment on this later)
3. Timer with regular desktop keyboard
4. Study partner (Life and online)

1. FA is the key to the CS unlocking. Just read it and practice with SP under time pressure. Let them be very critical of your performance if they can of course.
Doing mini cases with someone by taking turns is also good way of developing strong DD base. How you make your study style with FA is up to you and your preference but FA has to be mastered.
Also PN is the hardest part you don't wanna neglect (more on that on keyboard section)

2. CSE videos were alright but wouldn't say must. They were nice enough to give me discount and I just used those but never gone over 50%. It's recorded CS exam videos by third party for demonstration purposes.

3. Timing yourself is the most important thing here because almost all people can pass CS if given enough time but not everyone is passing under time limitation.
Regarding keyboard, although I'm very good at typing and can type fast as well as by not looking to keyboard I still had trouble with it. Main reason is that I normally type on my laptop that has nice and flat keyboard layout BUT their center has desktops with different keyboards on almost every 3-4 stations. Some keyboards were stiff and some were bearable but you may wanna practice on the keyboard similar of that. It will slow you down by adding on your anxiety+time restriction+awful keyboard indeed all those add up.

PN: I used bullet style of PN and have written mnemonics on my blue sheet before I went to each room. Also I typed in capital letter by using caps lock to save time. Try to use short version of words (abd, extrem, no urin symp and so on) and don't try to make a sentences as long as you are writing enough to understand although make sure to spell words correctly. They are probably not concerned about your perfect grammar but will check if you know to spell disease names.

4. Study partner is very important, if your SP is doctor and speaks good English then you are lucky and I'm one of those lucky guys. Let them know what to judge on you and let them be very picky even pickier than exam SPs. I also recorded some of my practices with SP and watched later to see if my facial expressions were real enough that I can act during exam. This part is you being as an actor just know your line and perfect it with practice.
Online partners helped me alot with practicing online, here I did mine cases with my online buddy we took turns and kept asking mini case questions from each other and corrected and discussed about that afterwards.

Above things that I could think of right now and I didn't talk much about actual exam experience now. I may write some things later that I think may contribute to your success but any questions welcome.
Was there any encounter in which you put 2 dd rather than the usual three?
Hi docd congrats ,can u plz tell us some short versions to use in PN, P/E. Are these allowed like for eg: in HEART:S1/S2 NML , NO M/R/G. etc.
@nkc yes I did have PN that I put 2 DD when couldn't find reasonable third one. As far as I remember that having 2 DD is acceptable for your PN.
@binthi I'm not allowed to disclose any of those PN from Exam however there is a PN I wrote when I practiced with timer. It's from FA but modified because it's virtually impossible to write full PN same as shown in FA. I basically trimmed FA PNs and practiced them that way in order to adopt the habit of writing style.
Example:
HPI: 21 YO G1P1 F C/O RLQ PAIN STARTED THIS MORNING. PAIN IS 7/10, CRAMPY, AND CONSTANT. IT IS WORSE WITH MOVEMENTS AND DOES NOT RADIATE. SHE HAS FEVER, NAUSEA, VOMITING AND LOOSE STOOLS. NOTICED SOME BROWNISH SPOTTING THIS MORNING. NO URIN SYMP; NO VAGINAL DISCHARGE.
OB/GYN: LMP 5 WEEKS AGO. REGULAR EVRY 4 WEEKS LASTS 7 DAYS. MENACHE AT AGE 13. UNCOMPLICATED NSVD AT FULL TERM 3 YEAR AGO.
ALL: NKDA. MED: IBUPROFEN
PMH: STD 1 MONTH AGO, POSSIBLY TREATED WITH CEFTRICAXONE AND DOXYCYLINE
PSH: NONE
SH: ONE PPD FOR 6 YEARS, 2-3 BEER/WEEK, NO DURGS, UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MULTIPLE PARTNERS

PATIENT IS IN PAIN
VS: WNL ONLY TEM OF 100.5
CHEST: CLEAR BREATH SOUNDS BILATERALLY
HEART: RRR, NL S1/2, NO MURMURS, RUBS, OR GALLOPS
ABD: SOFT, NONDISTENDED, DECREASED BS, NO ORGANOMEGALY, DICRET AND REBOUND RLQ TENDERNESS, RLQ GUARDING, +PSOAS, ROVSING, -OBTURATOR, NO CVA TENDERNESS

Although I did have problem with finding physical findings in order to support my DDs and I put NONE in order to specify that there was no any physical finding (I didn't leave them blank since it may also mean you didn't look for one).
Such as migraine rarely has actual physical finding rather it's diagnosed based on history and symptoms. So I just put NONE if I had no physical findings.
Thank u so much just to know hw to use short forms Which every one uses .good luck for future exams.
Challenging questions: You will be asked some questions by SP and I would never call them challenging because it doesn't require anything more than empathy. It doesn't matter if you don't know the answer who cares, as long as you state you understand patients concern and you'll do your best to help with that today, and say: AT THIS POINT WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING IT AND IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO PINPOINT THE CAUSE SOME TESTS NEED TO BE DONE AFTER THAT WE WILL SIT DOWN WITH AND DISCUSS DIAGNOSIS AND AVAILABLE TREATMENT OPTIONS. Whatever you say make sure you say it clearly and well constructed way that patient should get you after first time and you may ask any questions or concerns regarding this? You can always say I don't know in many different ways but remember being polite and show empathy to patients concern.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »