Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can H1b visa be changed to J1 - canada1
I know that J1 cannot be changed to H1b,

However, can H1b be changed to J1? - (that will solve my problem)

Am wondering what would be better - all this while I was under the impression that fellowships are easier on a J1. However, I may get married during residency period to a citizen in which case having a J1 visa would mean going back to my country for 2 years.

What should I do?
u can change h to j.
change of j to h needs u to waive the j first, then go to h....or gc..as u said.
wht do u mean by i might marry? u shud make up ur mind, if u love eachother and think of getting married & long term relation, then why not do it now?
it dont hurt to try h if u think u may find a citiz for love/ gc later, so u wont have to waive.
even with h, u still have option to go on j later for fellow if u cant find a lover/citiz down the road. gl
Am not getting married yet because I want to match on my own esteem - do not want anyone to think I did it for the visa/GC.

You sure that one can switch from H to J for fellowship?

Thanks a lot
Why you need to waive J1 in case of switching to H1B?
Do you still need to do it if you don't have 2 YHRR on your current J1?
Canada1, maybe I don't understand your post, but if your plan is to start residency on h visa and get married to a citizen during residency, wouldn't you be eligible to apply for a gc and you should be able to do fellowship on gc so you won't need to switch back to j1.
Correct me if I'm wrong please.
I agree with drkhadi, it's a bit confusing.

If you already know someone but still don't want to get married (want to wait until 1st or 2nd year of residency), then definitely go for the H1. Being on a J1 and marrying someone from the US is possible BUT you're going to need a good lawyer to help you with that, spend a lot on the process, PLUS you still have to do the J1 waiver,
Yes you can, as far as I know
well, yes u can start on h and if u want to go with fellow, u can switch to j .
u dont need to leave the US for that change of h to j.
u may find a job when u r 3rd yr (i mean im ) and ask them to file ur gc...to start working on gc rite away! dat gives u some experience and gc=>then apply in fellow ...well, no need to think of j effin headache....or hunting citizen for gc!!!
hope i made it all clear! sorry if i missed something, these days have been effing hectic and stressful for me...feeling sick and abt to throw up! gl ppl!
@drkhadi & @vinniev
You've got it right. I wish to start with H1 visa because if I start with J1 visa then I will have to go back for 2 years.

GC would take a couple of years to come through but the residency gets over in 4 years. I believe fellowship on GC will be an option only after the formalities are completed. The time span between GC application & finalization is a lot - during that period fellowship will not be available.

A friend of mine has had to go back to Canada for 2 years after finishing her residency because her GC is still pending.

@rajji you are right, one can start working while the GC application is pending but I want to do my fellowship soon after residency - without a gap (God willing)!
BUMP
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »