Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to rank programs? please help - usmlecs4
Hey Guys,
How should we rank programs? based on our preference of the program, irrespective of the chance of being ranked? or should we consider the possibility of being ranked or liked by the pd or interviewer? I am asking this because the are some people who advice to rank programs high which we think are very likely to be ranked high as well. I am really confused.
I have the same question
Why are you listening to others. You have solved complex things in your life. Here you go, matching demystified :
http://www.nrmp.org/match-process/match-algorithm/
http://www.nrmp.org/faq-questions/how-do...ithm-work/
@imtiaz,
Thank you, I have read this one. Also I checked the run match on the right hand corner of the page and saw the example.
The thing is the example doesn't seem to be conclusive at least to me. As per description it seems that as far as you are preferred by the program it doesn't matter if you rank it 10th or first. you can't be left unmatched by any means. But the example given on the page doesn't show all possibilities. I didn't see any one who ranked the program at lower rank for eg. 2nd or 3rd displacing other candidate who ranked the program top but less preferred than the earlier candidate. In general I am worried the displacement might work if you rank the program top and the other candidate ranked the program top as well but your are preferred one by the program.

in summary, do you displace the tentatively matched applicant to his/ her number 1 choice if you rank the same program on second place on your ROL, if the program prefers you? I am not sure. Besides there are some people are still skeptical about the issue after reading this info. any more suggestion is appreciated.
Thank You!
This is my understanding. I am not an expert and our forum experts can assist.
Your ranking will NEVER affect your chances, in the sense that you cannot go unmatched because of the way you ranked. Your ranking only determines where you may go. Your chances of matching are instead determined by where the programs rank you. That is why you put your most desirable program high on your ROL and not based on your perception of your chances there. Please let me know if i was able to explain.
@Imtiaz,
Thank you, of-course you explained it very well. As you said, it would be really nice to hear from the forum experts, how can we reach them? I guess some of us have some doubts about this issue.

its simple, Rank based on where you want to be. and if you do not want to be in a particular program then don't rank them. Your chances of matching has nothing to do with your ranking (unless you dont rank some programs)
This is how it works. You rank programs depending on where you want to match and programs rank the candidate depending on who they want.

Displacement of the candidates occurs according to the PROGRAMS ROL. It has nothing to do with how you ranked it.

Assume that a program A only has 1 spot open. If candidate X ranked a program at #10 spot and you ranked the program at #1 spot. Lets assume that program ranked candidate X as #1 and you as #2. Then, X is going to match at the program.

BUT if the candidate X got matched at any of his #1-9 spots, then you will match at the program A.

Bottom line: Rank the programs in the order that you want. If you rank 15 programs, and the first 14 programs dont want you...and the 15th program ranks you in their top 6 (assuming they have 6 spots), you will match there.
@needtomatchsoon and fmpractice11,
Thank you so much!
@fmpractice11 Excellent explanation and informative example .....thanks
@usmlecs4 : our experts have spoken and hopefully cleared the doubts. Good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »