Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help,suggestions for my grave problem. - immifriend
Friends,
I am an old graduate from india.passed medical school in 2008.came to usa in 2009 after getting married.i finished step 2 c.s in 2012. I prepared for step 1 in 2011 but couldn't give the exam because of health reasons.

I am here to share my problem.it's very embarrassing to even share it in an anonymous public forum, but still i want to share it here..

Last year,I was arrested for shoplifting.i am out on bail.i hired a lawyer & got into a PRE TRIAL DIVERSION program.in this program i am supposed to fulfill some terms & conditions for 1 yr.once i am done with the program,my case will be dismissed.

Please don't judge me..i don't know what i was thinking, why i did that.i lost my sense of control & judgement.i am paying for my mistake now.I am going through a lot.after a lot of rough & depressed phase i am kind of feeling little ok.i want to move on.i wanted to give up this usmle thing because i am not able to take all this stress,but my spouse wants me to pursue it.he is insisting,persuading me to get into residency..it's not that i am not interested.i am just very very confused & very very very very scared.

I am a very anxious person.i get tensed very easily.i took antidepressants,anti anxiety medication for a long time.i am trying to overcome all these issues.i was good student back home & never had these issues.

It's only after coming to this country, facing loneliness..that i realized that i had all these issues..

Anyways..coming to the MAIN ISSUE - what are my chances of getting into residency with all this history, especially the theft?my case will be dismissed & i am eligible to expunge(remove the records) the details only after 2 years.

I started studying for step 2 as i am too too scared for step 1( considering my past preparation,the content of the exam etc etc).i like the subjects of step 2.i thought i could ease down a little & prepare fresh for step 2,gain some confidence & then give step 1.

I am planning to finish step 1 & step 2 by the end of this year if everything goes as planned & smoothly.(actually i want to finish it before sept 1, so that i can apply this year.. But i am not sure)

I am pretty confused about what i should do.all these issues are reflecting very badly on my already shaky marital life.my only way out, my only way to solve many issues, my only way to gain my respect, perspective, my only way to be back on my feet is to get into medical residency..

Giving steps, Getting into residency demands lot of time, energy, patience, perseverance & also money.i am ready for everything.my only fear is that after putting every effort,if i come to know that i am not eligible to even apply or later not eligible to getting into residency..i will be devastated.i will crumble..my effort goes waste.
My visa status-i am on EAD.

Nobody can foretell the future but at least one can hope for the best if chances are known.i want to know what are my chances..

I request,plead people in this forum to guide me through this.please..please..please...
Hello dear friend,

I understand you have been through a grave problem and it's very inspiring to read that you have not given up. No one can forecast what will happen one year from now in your life, but everyone can predict your sincere and determined day-to-day effort can bring you close to your goal.

Your EAD will contribute some peace of mind.

The crime you mentioned will not affect your chances to get into residency as it will be removed from your records. Only thing that will defeat you is the doubt of success you nurture with each breath and beat.

If you are young and has no other blemish in your criminal record, with past criminal record being >3-5 years old, and you can convince the programs with a reasonable letter of explanation if ever asked, then you are no exception. University-based-hospitals may decline but your situation is not hopeless. You should email and call AMA, ECFMG and AAPI explaining your situation and get the right direction. Your questions will be answered accurately.

I am sure anyone with better suggestions will come forward to over-ride my suggestion. This is what I suggest.

Do not be defeated by any situation in your life. You may become one of the best doctors the world may witness one day.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Ally
@liscense..

Thank you so much for your kind words of support.it means a lot to me..i am trying my best to do what i can..

I am talking to as many people as I can.i emailed ecfmg,eras etc....my charges were filed last year & the case will be dismissed this sept..

I know it was stupid of me..there are so many hardworking,sincere students here who are struggling,fighting to get a chance..i am no less than anybody here in terms of all the hardwork,effort..infact i have put more effort in everything..in maintaing,saving my marriage,responsibility of family..

I passed out from a very good,reputed,top medical college back home...i am not that kind of person..it was just stupid of me..anyways..i can't undo what happened to me..i just want to move on..

I got the following response from eras..

(Thank you for contacting ERAS Support Services at ECFMG.

When applying for residency programs, the following questions are required on the application. You are expected to answer these questions accurate, and are able to provide a brief explanation along with a Yes or No:

Is there anything in your past history that would limit your ability to be licensed or would limit your ability to receive hospital privileges?

Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor in the United States?

Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the United States?

Most licensing boards will conduct a criminal background check as a condition of licensure. The FSMB as provided the following chart: http://www.fsmb.org/pdf/grpol_criminal_b...checks.pdf

You will need to research your own circumstances to find out what information about your arrest and charges will be published in a criminal background check, and if that information will bar you from medical licensure with an individual state medical board.

Unfortunately each program sets their own selection criteria. We cannot say how your application or circumstances will be evaluated by programs or what your chances of being matched or hired is.)

If anybody knows anything more..please suggest me something..

LOOKING FOR US CLINICAL EXPERIENCE OR RESEARCH POSITIONS TO IMPROVE CV?

Hi,

We have research positions available in different states and in different specialties and (sub)specialties. The majority of the positions are in universities, and some of them are in universities that are among the top 10 in the U.S.
We can also possibly arrange for a clinical rotation in a teaching hospital setting.

If interested, contact us at ImproveCVForMatch2014. Provide some brief info about yourself, visa status, USMLE scores, (sub)specialty of interest, state of preference, start date and duration.
In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Cardiology research in New York.”

We can provide a list of references if you would like.

Thank you.

P.S.
It may take us up to 24 hours to reply you. Please do NOT send duplicate emails.

Hi,

We have research positions available in different states and in different specialties and (sub)specialties. The majority of the positions are in universities, and some of them are in universities that are among the top 10 in the U.S.
We can also possibly arrange for a clinical rotation in a teaching hospital setting.

If interested, contact us at ImproveCVForMatch2014. Provide some brief info about yourself, visa status, USMLE scores, (sub)specialty of interest, state of preference, start date and duration.
In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Cardiology research in New York.”

Thank you.

P.S.
It may take us up to 24 hours to reply you. Please do NOT send duplicate emails.

Hi,

Thank you.

P.S.

Hi,

Thank you.

P.S.

Hi,

Thank you.

P.S.

Hi,

Thank you.

P.S.

Hi,

Thank you.

P.S.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »