• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did not match thread - awen
This is my third match. I don't know if I should give up
2013 Carib grad, US citizen
Step1-197
Step 2-210
Step 2 cs passed on 2nd attempt
Step 3- 198

Interested in psychiatry. Received 3 interviews this year, one was prematch.

Been working as a mental health counselor since September. And doing part time volunteer psych research and attending residency lectures since last July. I don't know what else to do. Any advice is welcomed!!
didn't match will continue with my PA job try again next year at least i'm not taking a pay cut.To all who matched congratulation job well done
THx as well!
THx as well!
Commiserations to us. Hard to explain how much it actually hurts, and no one knows better than everyone on this thread on who didn't match. We need to up our game. Take step 3 if we haven't. Make connections. Research, observorships. And pray for better luck.
Old IMG, average scores, didn't take STEP 3 yet. Had to work a couple jobs the entire time. So, I didn't have time to study full time every day. Still working as a medical assistant. I don't know if I want to bother keep going with this process.
Had 1 interview. They mostly were concerned that I didn't work as a physician in USA. Literally. I am not exaggerating. I didn't know what to say. They were worried that I won't be able to deal with patients. Though, they said they liked me. Whatever... I am not surprised with results but still a little bit upset.
I had observership, 3 US LORs.
@ me7

Sorry you didn't match. Isn't it weird that they asked you why you didn't work as a physician in US? I mean, if you could do that, you wouldn't need to go through residency. That's super odd. We can't even touch patients.
To all who did not match.....my condolences, as I have been in that boat a few times.

Here is some "outside of the box" advice to think about that may better your application.....try doing something outside the field of medicine. This may show you have capabilities that don't only deal with medical knowledge. I have a friend who taught a kindergarten class for one year after she did not match. She also did hands on clinical experience with physicians at the same time, whenever she was not working. In her IVs they all mentioned how the teacher job on her CV stood out to them.

I am not saying this will work for everyone, but it might be something to think about. It could be a way to make your application stand out, since everyone usually has the same couple of things listed on their CV. At the very least, you can at least make some money and learn new skills while preparing for match again.

Best of luck
Is there a list of programs that did not participate in ERAS?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »