Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matched applicants plz help... - sophiya
@sophiya good job..I matched in anesthesiology prog...my info as follows

1. 230+ both steps/pass/222 (all in 1st attempt)
2. 2004
3. needs visa
4. 1 observership and 1 research exp both in university hosp
5. applied to 30 anesth prog and 50 prelim surg plus med
6. No contacts
7. 4 anesth intvs and 2 prelim surg

Important things for getting intvs are scores, USCE , good lors, no gaps in CV
but for match only and only how you do at interviews

GOOD LUCK
@pari07,

Congratulations, your story has been inspiring...I'm in same shoes with 2 kids and on dependent visa...please help me, i need some information and guidance...message me at libjer927...

1. Step scores: 190's/220's/Pass/Step 3 not taken (1st attempt)
2. YOG 2014
3. Visa Status: Not needed
4. USCE-- had 2 years as I am a Caribbean IMG, plus some volunteering, nothing significant
5. University or community or private clinic USCE? -- All of the above
6. No of programs applied to? -- 100+
7. What specialties applied to? IM/FM
8. Any contacts that helped in getting interviews/residency? No
9. Number of interviews? 5
10. And what you feel was the most important factor in your application that got you interviews and residency: Good LOR's (was brought up at all my interviews), increase in step scores (was 30+ point increase), INTERVIEWING WELL
Step Scores: 206/226/ CS passed/ 3 not taken ( all first attempt).
YOG: 2008
Visa : no need
USCE: 6 months observership IM, 1 month observer Surgery, 6 months externeship at a clinic IM
No research
Applied to 100 FM and 150 IM
Number of IV : 1 FM and 1 IM ( the IM through connection thu )
Alhamdullilah matched
The best factor was a good interviewer and good LORs

Congrats to all who matched and good luck for whom they didn't and I wish u all the best.
245/246/cs pass/ no step 3. All first attempt
Need Visa
1 month of observership. Also a Hospice volunteer.
2 weeks at a university hospital and 2 weeks at a community hospital.
IM
3 interviews through contacts and 1 interview due to my observership at university hospital.
Scores, personal statement, a strong US LOR, contacts and performance at interviews. This entire process is so subjective. The most important factor that affected my interview performance was whether or not I knew myself and how well I communicated that. No answer is right or wrong as long as you have a reasonable explanation.
@pkpk03 - My LOR's were sent directly so I dont know good or okay....is there any way to Know LOR's good
@yourfavourite-- I didn't get to see mine, but all the program directors at the places I interviewed at told me I had amazing LOR's. I had two LOR's from two program directors that apparently said that they would love to have me in their programs in July. I think when asking for LOR's, the key is to not just give your CV, but even give a little direction of what you want them to talk about. Otherwise, all LOR's sound generic. Having an LOR from a PD that reads LOR's every year is also essential-- they know what to write to stand out.
@doctam..

any reason you didn't match first time? you don't have any red flags.
1. 242/239/pass/not yet step 3, no attempts
2. YOG 2002, with a home country IM residency completed
3. GC holder
4. 2months USCE in a University hospital, ongoing work as processing blood in a research laboratory
6. Applied to 77 programs due to YOG cut off and I didn't apply to California programs due to the extra requirements.
7. Applied exclusively to internal medicine
8/9 . Got 3 interviews, 1 through contacts
10. Most important: my faith in God. I was going to pack and leave for my beloved motherland if God had no place for me in the USA. Kenya my country! Many people also prayed for me.
11. Interviews, I took it easy and tried just to be real and likable. In my previous job I used to interview people for internship and at the end of the day the decision was based on whether we liked somebody and felt it is somebody we could work with.
All I can say is that once you get the interview, all the interviewees are on equal footing. It is then a question of whether they think they like you.
Agree with usmleacc. My friend in residency told me the same. It all comes down to if they can work with you Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »