Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not matched this year, should I try 2015? - b730509
Hello:

I am an IMG with US citizenship and has been following this forum for several years. My score is 231(3)/ 218(1)/ 208(1)/ CS passed(2). YOG 2007. I had 6 months of USCE and recently finished my MPH in top 3 public health school. Applied to 150+ FM program with 3 US LOR and didn't get any interviews this year. I guess my multiple attempts on step 1 and YOG are red flags that filtered me out in the first place.

Will observership be helpful to make up my YOG? Or is it too late anyway since must programs want applicants to pass USMLEs in first attempts. Any opinions is appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Family med programs do not like to see fails on CS. If you were willing to try apply next year, go for psych instead.
Thank you for the suggestions. I was originally thinking about changing to IM but I guess IM people won't be happy about multiple attempts on step 1 and CS either.
IM is so hard. I had a repeat on step1 and am a US citizen/new grad and barely picked up 2 interviews in IM.
It is indeed very competitive this year. People say it is easier for GC holder or US citizens to be picked up for interviews. But I didn't feel that way this year.
Are you a graduate from Caribbean med school? More importantly, have you been active in the field of medicine{previous job as a GP etc?}.Maybe you should consider doing research.
I agree that b730509 should try Psych since they are forgiving about the Step 1 attempts, but I thought the CS might be something that they may focus on! I would say also try Path since they don't care much about CS. But just don't give up, you'll get it!
go for it man!!!
Thank you all for the kindly suggestions. I think the take home lessons from my story is don't take the exams unless you are 100% ready for it. One of my friend is a US psych resident and he said psych residency is getting really popular and competitive because low malpractice insurance and you'll be able to open private practice at lower cost.

@tukas11: Thank you for the reply. I am not a Caribbean medical graduate and has been stay in public health/academic for 4 years. You bring up a good point that PDs want people who are still actively in the clinical field. Currently I am thinking about either (1) doing observership to refresh my clinical knowledge (2) volunteering at hospitals or (3) give up Match and do research.
Bump
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »