Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J1 visa for Canadians - canada1
Yes right it is category B
There are 2 competing forums on this topic in succession. Merge them
And provide concise info.
Bump
OK rh60484, lets use this one & consolidate information here.

Steps for visa/re-location:
1. Apply for SON (statement of need) through your designated state - guidelines from -
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/p...te-eng.php
2. This will take 5 days to process
3. ECFMG will co-ordinate with your university to process your J1 visa - will take 4-6 weeks
4. Vacation time..............
5. Once your DS2019 is ready you go to the US counsulate & apply for visa - Toronto waiting is 1 day.
6. Apply for Social Security Number - will take 14 days
7. Apply for Driving Licence (You will not get your salary without it) - they will take your current Canadian licence away. This will be one of your IDs. If you do not drive, you will still need a licence - may have to give a written test!
8. Look for accomodation
9. Start by mid-June

Is there anything I am missing?

GL
what does driving license have to do with this,

you mean SSN

also what happens after 5 days, dont we need to upload documents to ecfmg, like j-2 form
@bethy
Driving licence is required at a later stage. Presently you only require to get your documentation done for SON,.
Hello there,
I Would really appreciate if someone could help. I matched to an advanced program and a separate Transitional year Program.

Do I need to fill out two separate forms for the two different programs??

Also, eventually when they do approve my J1 visa, would it only be for 1 year and I would have to renew it again?? or do I get the approval for the whole duration of my training (i.e. 5 years)??
@contusion

According to the ministry of health website, you will need two.

"Preliminary Year and Transitional Year

Applicants who obtain only a Preliminary Year or Transitional Year can receive a Statement of Need for the one year but they are expected to obtain a categorical position commencing the following year and apply for a new Statement of Need. Applicants who obtain both a Preliminary Year and a residency must apply for a Statement of Need for both."

I would imagine you would submit two different set of applications with different start dates (advanced program starting a year later) at the same time. I would call them just to make sure. (613) 952-1912

@contusion
dune89's information is correct. You have to get 2 statements of need.
Once you have called, do post it here for other applicants to see.
Answering mit1's question from another thread
1. Proof of Programme contract - OK to send a copy of the NRMP page, so you don't have to wait for the contract
2. Birth certificate will be fine - but I prefer passport.
3. You mail the notarized documents along with all the other listed requirements TOGETHER by courier or email or regular mail
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »