Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I did not match, please advise. - iceman100
Thank you. I was ecfmg certified at the time of the application, however my step 3 result was out on the 26th. I don't know if that was a factor. I heard some iv prep guy talking about the personal statement being one of the most important things in a profile. is that true? i have an opportunity to do research at a reputed place, i want to get a good letter from the PI, hopefully that would help me get ivs.
And i applied to every community hospital that is img friendly.
@iceman100
What speciality did you apply for? I feel your late application was the main reason for such few ivs.

Your plan on doing research in an ivy league institute is excellent! GL
My advice is apply to IMG friendly places. Apply to IM, FM , Psych, and whatever else IMGs get. Make sure LOR are perfect before submitting. Choose option not to see them before submitting but obviously see them before they submit them which takes someone you trust to work with you. Give enough time for them to write them before submitting them. Make sure your personal statement is truly an original piece. I got many compliments on my PS which stood out. It was a work of art.

If you are before the five years post graduate from medical school make sure you meet the requirements of the places you apply so you don't waste their time or your money. If 5 years post graduate from medical school go all out in applying to get interviews. Brush up on interview skills so you don't blow it.
Thank you all for the input. I think i should start working on my personal statement, Letters, cv. And this time apply on the dot, Sept 15.
@mcmatch - can you mail me your e-mail address, need advise on PS thanks my e-mail id wantedzara thanks
Hi iceman100,

I am also in same boat like you. I have decent scores 224/222/196(1 attempt) 7-8 months of observership, currently working on a research project, 2010 and need visa. I applied to ped, fm and im on the very first day of application. Just had 2 iv and final result is 'unmatched'. It is so depressing that you work so hard for years and still stand no where.

I am trying to analyze flaws in my application which I can control for next year.
If you would like we can stay in touch and work together to improve our CVs, my id is match2102
buddy there is a will there is a way your will need to be strong
Do not sweat it...Sad!)--RE-BOOT NOW!

I was in your boat several years back with several failures and no USCE and no hope!...here I am now in 4th yr (chief rez) IM...

just email me direct ( ; put "residency advice needed" into the subject header)

for more tips including step 3 for upgrade (i've got some good tutoring sources to get you there) and --basically that you have to fit into the system as it stands now--e.g., get USCE, and make contacts and fill out beautiful ERAS Cvs and personal statements..GL for the next match--YOU CAN DO IT-i..e, I DID!
Hi... I have the same scores as you with 2010 YOG and no research experience and 1 yr obsie. This is my 2nd year in match and I matched. Last yr i got 2iv and also I got step 3 result 3 weeks after I applied last year. The only difference this time was I did obsie at 2 residency programs. I got one LOR from PD. All my letters were waived and all my 4 letters were from US and specialty specific. Last time when my friends tried to recommended me i didn't get the IV and they told me that my letters may be weak. I feel this time the strong letters helped me get 7 Ivs. MY personal statement is better this time. What I personally came to know through a chief resident is its important to get a strong waived letter. Its ok even if its a small community program. If its from faculty, PD, associate PD its very good. iv league looks good on the CV but a mediocre letter from iv league faculty wont help much. I believe the letters made a great difference for me this match. Good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »