Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Didn't match. Advice? - carly
thanks ilovestep3! Anything else that will boost my chances?
Ecfmg certificate
You passed step 2 cs, but not still ecfmg certified.....how can it be possible?
The good things are;
1) Carib-grad - therefore lots of USCE,
2) Recent grad,
3) Decent scores (for FM) with no attempts.

The not-so-good things are;
1) VISA
2) ECFMG certification.

Basically, the good things outweigh the bad. So you should definitely amp up your CV and apply next year. Some things to consider since I am surprised you only managed 4 interviews in F:
A) Any bad evaluations form your rotations? If yes, get yourself LORs addressing this issue (saying you improved etc.. )
B) Did you have your PS/CV proof-read? I've been told from a couple of residents that a badly written CV and/or PS can have more of a negative effect than we think
C) Volunteer work. Research. Activities and hobbies. THEY ALL MATTER.

The scores are below the average. You'll want shining LORs to make up for that. Don't wait too long from your YOG to go all out on applying for positions. If less than five years make sure you meet requirements as not to waste your money and their time. If more than five years post graduation from medical school go all out and apply to psych, peds, IM and FM to get as many interviews as possible. Get research, observerships, externships, volunteer USCE to get US LORs if you can. Only 1 really good US LOR will make the difference but the more the better so they know how you do here.
hey carly, you and I are (kind of) similar in our stats. Do you want to email me so we can keep each other motivated to keep working? I feel very disheartened right now.

214/220/CS passed on second attempt/No ECFMG certificate by ROL/Canadian-needed visa last year/Carib/5IVs

matchusmle@outlook.com
@noropeds Thanks for the feedback. I was also surprised by the lower number of IVs, especially when compared to my colleagues with similar credentials.

All my clinical evals were pretty good. My PS could have been better, and I will work on it this time. As for LORS, I had them from FM and IM docs, although I am not sure about the contents of one of them as it was waived.

Will taking job as a research assistant help? Even if doesn't lead to any publications?
Advise him
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »