Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Match Game - fibonaci
My dear colleagues,

It has been 10 months since I first joined this forum. My first ever post was to ask what my chances were into getting into residency. Since then, I have come to learn valuable tactics in this game. The Match Game. To all those that are left unmatched, I can only imagine how disheartening it is to find out you did not succeed. I aim to share what I have found out by describing the the most crucial details I have come to learn about this match. This is my farewell gift to this community.

The Top 10 Must Do's to Secure a Match:

1. Learn about the programs you are applying to. Start in May/June/July to learn about your programs. Email them, ask if you can do an observership/elective. Let them learn your name and if possible your face. Even if you won't meet their requirements they will invite you for interview (I was invited to three programs without fulfilling their score cut-off requirements just because I showed interest early)

2. Have your documents uploaded to ERAS by August 31. Do not wait until the last week. ERAS gets overwhelmed during this time. Step 1, Step 2 CK, CS, LORs, Deans Letter (MSPE), Personal Statements, Photo, Transcripts (basic sciences and clinical)

3. List all clinical rotations in the US as part of work experience. A lot of caribbean students forget to list their US rotations in the CV portion as they assume their school automatically does this on the transcript. The truth is some do, some do not, and even if they do it is not nearly as detailed as what you would write for yourself. I called ERAS and asked this, it is a MUST DO!

4. Apply early, Apply wide. On the day of Sept 15 not an hour late. Apply with ALL (SO IMPORTANT) YOUR DOCUMENTS ALREADY UPLOADED. If you are a day late, even if you have stellar scores, you will miss out on nearly 50% of your interviews.

5. Re-learn about all your programs once you get invited. Do not expect them to make you learn. Do your homework. Practice makes perfect.

6. Interview day (Game Day): I personally know one person (very close to me Wink ) who had one interview, one shot. She matched. Once you are called for an interview, they have already looked past your credentials. This day is there to see if you are a humble, team friendly, communicable person. Use it to show them they need you. Do not be too aggressive. I have seen applicants interrupt PDs presentation to seem interested. Be calm, enjoy the process, you have made it that far anyway.

7. No matter what anyone tells about post-interview communication, IT IS IMPORTANT. Even if a program does not email you back. That does not mean you should not email them expressing your continued interest. It shows you are grateful for the chance...and you are likely to be grateful in the future.

8. Ranking preference does not matter on your end. Choose what you want to put high and choose selfishly. Do not depend this decision on post-iv communication. This is the one thing you can control in this game. Do not hesitate to put your dream program as your first choice.

9. Before deadline of Rank List, research about your top choice state licensure requirements. Many people find out later after they matched that they are not even qualified for state licensure. Secret: I pre matched in a program in Illinois only to later find out my medical school does not fulfill Illinois state licensure. I humbly declined the pre match and went back into the process of match. Imagine if this happened after you match. Programs do not have the energy or man power to go through 3,500 applicants and see if they qualify for state licensure. That is up to you. The program will replace you and your vacant seat will be filled even after match. (you are not protected by match agreement if you fail to meet the state's requirements). Do yourself a favor and rank the least bureaucratic state first choice.

10. Pray. Pray. Pray. then certify and await results. Enjoy your success. You deserve it.

This is my last post on this forum. Thank you so much for sharing this journey with me. It is a different game I play from now on. Goodbye and Good Luck!
#3 is extremely important.
I can not believe people dond do that, don't forget about it
thank you
Oh dude, is this truly your last post?? I wanted to thank you and say bye, you really educated me/forum community on the match algorithm and NRMP data in general.
You are most welcome guys.
@finger: Thanks for the kind words. We are all in this together, I feel as IMGs we should help each other in whatever means. All my posts can be found by searching my name on this forum. Thanks to God both my wife matched (not couples) in different states and I am going to be swamped with relocation and other issues so this is truly my last post, I will try to come back once in a while and update.
*both me and my wife matched...
thats one thing I didn't do list anything the rotation, but some of people on the forums are saying not to do it since the transcript or mspe should have it. But this is my 2nd match going unmatched so I guess I will mention the clerkships on the application

btw when you guys were interviewing did any faculty member comment or mention anything negative about why did you list the rotation under the experience section of application.

Thanks
I agree with everything except #4. I applied the 17th and 19th and received many interviews. A few PDs on sdn forum have said they don't even start looking at them for at least a week.

Also, If applications are complete but missing LORs. Apply on 15th anyway.
Wow - that's excellent. Congrats to you both!
It's a happy/sad kind of week. One is happy with the match and then we also are sad some of our forum members/colleagues did not match. But then match is not a one time event and so they will surely make it the next match. Also, we will not be "seeing" other much on the forum as we get involved in other events. It was good to go through this match with each other's supports.

Good luck fibonaci ... as a parting gift .... 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987 ..... Smile

@jim: yes, before I applied I called ERAS to ask if it was appropriate to mention this information as it also appeared on my transcript. ERAS was very specific on this subject as they even went on to say do not listen to anyone who tells you not to list and I quote "they are your competition so don't trust anyone" and told me to list in detail. I mentioned all clinical rotations both core and electives. One PD asked me why I was so detailed and I answered it was as per ERAS support services and he agreed that it is better mentioned than not. I think he even took it as a plus feeling I paid attention to detail.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »