Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matched In Residency From Unapproved School - drnick
My fiancé has matched into NY Peds, but school is not NYC state approved?
Program has not said anything YET, but what s going to happen?

she can not get a state license, which in some programs is a requirement to start your third year
I've read that non-NYC registered schools can get licensed but I think after 3 years of residency. They may require other docs. Google NY medical licensing requirements and there is a section on this...
NY's list of approved schools allows them to do more than 12 weeks of rotations outside the country of their school. Did your wife do more than 12 weeks of rotations outside the country of her school?
@chronictired

Yes she did more than 12 wks outside medical school home country. Will she even be eligible for training license for residency? The residency just approached 2 days ago to ask her about new york approval were so nervous that they will take away residency. Sad
I matched in New York and I did 16 weeks rotation .. Don't worry

BTW, you can't get NY license until you are done 3 years residency ... PC said that
I concur with sam1987. In NY you don't need a license to do residency. What did you say to the program when they approached you?
One more question I have. Did she do these >12 weeks as apart of her curriculum in school so it's on her transcript or were they observerships/externships?
@drnick, if you don't mind me asking, did you face any issues with starting residency? Did they revoke your contract for being from an NY-unaccredited school?

Anybody else with any recent experience in this process, i.e. 2014-2015, please share your experiences.
Dr. Nick please keep us updated. As far as I heard, she is fine and shouldnt face any problems.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »