Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observership / externship in California - usmleprincess
Hi Friends...I am looking for observership/externship in California...I am an IMG. I have heard its not IMG friendly state. Does anybody have any information regarding observership/externship program in California. Please guide me. I will appreciate it. thank you
Lots of IMGs have the same misconception regarding doing observership or externship in California
1) Its wrong to label California as not IMG friendly state, rather it will be correct to say California has a state law which don’t discriminate between IMG or no IMG.
2) The odds of getting observership or externship is pretty much similar to other state.
3) PTAL OR California letter is not needed to do observership or externship in California
Thanx pantoush for your much insightful advise...can u describe me in detail what exactly PTAL/california letter is?
PTAL: Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter in short california letter
According to state law, it is needed to start your residency & become a registered medical practitioner in the state of california. It should be sent to ERAS as a application procedure along with your other credentials.
It is not needed to do observership or externship in california
If if you dont have the PTAL/california letter while applying to ERAS you can mention the status of your application.
For more information how to apply PTAL/california letter please click on the link provided below
http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicants/Physici..._Surgeons/

To apply for PTAL one should have a SSN ( SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER)
If you wish to know in detail what other documents needed to apply for SSN let me know
I will definitely help you
if anybody else has any querries or concerns regarding observership/externship in california please feel free to ask in this thread, i will definitely try to answer it.
Thanx again
Do you know anywhere i can get the observership/externship in california?
well i know Dr Roger Washington's clinic @ santa clara, CA
Its a externship program in family medicine.
for more information & to apply visit http://www.rogerwashington.com/
& click on the externship link the left column
Its a hands on clinical experience where you will have the opportunity to interview the patient, present your case to the attending doctor make differential diagnosis, order the investigation & fill out the referral slips. You can know about the insurance system in US & how it works. you will gradually know about PPOs & HMOs.
i think its illegal.

The California Board of Medicine has issued a warning to physicians who allow externs to see patients. (See “Don’t assist the unlicensed practice of medicine.” on page 5) The AMA also has a post on their website on the issue where they highlight that both the supervising physician and the IMG can face sanctions.
Dear adilmd...
I understood your concerns...Let have my turn to address to it...
For better clarity of understanding herewith i do quote the exact word from CMB ( california medical board)

1) The practice is lawful if the scope of work is no more than a medical assistant would perform.
2) International medical graduate may be employed as a medical assistant in a physisian's office.

so let me rephrase your writing...its not illegal at all doing externship in california
I knew bunch of guys, personally who happens to be IMG, did externship in CA & matched ( NY, MI)
Hopefully your doubt is cleared.
Let me know if you have more doubts
Thanks.
pantoush...thanx for your all the vital information....
Sooner, I am going to contact Dr Roger Washington & visit his website as mentioned by you in the earlier post & apply for the externship.
You are most welcome usmleprincess...
what best i can do to the best interest for you & others having same misunderstanding & confusion is tell my friends who did their externship in California & matched
I will convince them to come to the forum & share their experience...
They are busy in their residency still i can give a try...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »