Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 year eligibility req for step 3 -
Sara - salimahaltaf

I really need help from anyone out there. I have been accepted into a residency position in Georgia. I gave my step 1 in 1995 and step 2 in 1996. To take step 3 in georgia you have to pass step 1,2 and 3 within seven years and I am beyond that. I would finally like to come back to chicago where I live now and practice medicine here but illinois also has the same seven year rule. I donot know what to do. Does this mean that I have to retake step 1 and 2 to practice medicine in Illinois or can I take step 3 in a state like NY, FL or Ca and can practice medicine in chicago after passing step 3 there. I would really appreciate any response from anyone who knows an answer.
Thanks
mkansari7

Try writing Step 3 from states that don't have 7 year limit and then write boards for State you want to practice or write to FSMB that you are from NY and want to practice in IL and what are the requirements.
indira - indiraadapa

You can take step 3 in other staes where 10 year limit. Unfortunately you have to work in that state(where you got your licensure) for two years and go back to the state where you wnat to work and request for reciprocaton. Are you with me? I hope you got it.
sara - sarapoonja

indira,
do you mean to say that I can do my residency in atlanta, take step 3 in new york, get a license from NY, work there for 2 years, come back to chicago and ask them to reciprocate the license for me. Why can't hey reciprocate a license If I have one from other state, why do i have to work 2 years in a state where I got the license. Can you if possible let me know if this rule is written somewhere or direct me to aource from where I can get this info.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »