Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old IMGs considering other options - alexkahn

This what I posted on this forum about 2 months ago:

alexkahn - 04/29/14 21:11

Dear Fellas,
I am also an old IMG and recently passed Step 3 in first attempt. I have been applying for residency for 4 years without any luck. About 3 years ago, I got into a Nurse Practitioner program, and did MSN as a Family Nurse Practitioner. This NP program did not require any GRE or TOEFEL or any other pre-requisites, rather some of the courses were waived for me. This program was about 28 months long and far cheaper than any PA/MPH program. Now I have started a job with annual income of around $150,000 (believe it, I am not lying). I am working in a state where NPs don't even need a collaborating physician, and I have my independent license. As an NP, I work without any supervision and I can prescribe even Schedule II substances.
I just want to say that there are a lot of good options available. Never give up, and just believe that we have education and skills that nobody can take away from us.
All the best.

I will just add that you are on a right track. Although, I have started my job, but even then I am getting really good offers because the recruiting physicians know that I have a lot more skills, knowledge, and experience than traditional PA or NP. Believe me, you will get really good and respectable job.
I know that working as an NP will not kill the pain of not getting a residency, but I will ease that pain a lot. Working as NP will help you make a lot of connections too.
Let me know if I help you guys in any way.
Best of Luck.

Thank you for your advice, Alexkahn.
May I ask, in which state are you practicing NP?
Arizona
Thank you Alex.
*but it will ease
Alexkahn, can you please tel tel what you had to do starting from getting you degree evaluated.i am on the same boat and thinking which direction should I go.towards nursing or MBA in healthcare management.please help.thanks
I got my degree evaluated by Josef Silny and Associates, Inc. There is another service called World Education Services (WES), but they require all the document attested from your original country and the process takes a long time. Josef Silny and Associates, Inc. require only original documents and after evaluation they return all the documents. They are in Florida and it takes less time to get the evaluation done.
I had posted a question in your other link.I would be happy if you could email me or shed some light on the nursing route that you took.
Hey Alex,

Thank you so much for offering your help.

Can you tell us about steps you have taken, like which school, prereq, duration and the cost....of the program.

So far I found Florida university foreign md to np program.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
The World of Confirmed U.S. Residency Success!

See Top Search Result For:

IMG PASSED USMLE AND IM RESIDENCY

in www.google.com

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »