Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to ask a contact? - shigatox22
hi i have a close family friend who did residency( in 1992) in my number 1 desired IM program i want to apply. im doing a clerkship with him currently and dont know how to ask him if he can help me get into that program.

is there ne suggestions on generally how to go about this and do u think he would even be able to help me. one of my friends just said to ask if he could call the program after i interview there God willing.

thanks !
Is this contact still working at the institution you want to go to? If not, that's more than 20 years ago.. I wouldn't even consider this a contact. The PD/chair have all probably moved on by now. A contact would be someone who is CURRENTLY working in the department who can talk to those making decisions on residency applications.

You can just try asking him, but I highly doubt it will help at all.
thx
@shigatox

You need to ask if you know him that well. If he did residency there, his colleagues might be the people who run the program now or he might know them real well.

In this game, there is nothing to lose, except time. You lose nothing by asking and everything to gain if it does pan out.

Leave nothing to chance.

The question you need to ask yourself when assessing a contact is, would he/she go out of their way to help you. There are contacts and then are THE Contacts.... if you understand what I meant.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »