Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question..........................5 - psychmledr
In the management of a pregnant patient, medications are classified based on their risk to the fetus. Category A medications

A. should never be given during pregnancy
B. are considered safe during pregnancy
C. should only be given in life-threatening situations
D. have unknown risk for the fetus
E. are associated with teratogenicity in animals
B. Thanks. Smile
"B" is right.
You are welcome Smile

So what is category B? Because I have a small uncertainty there.

What I understood from Kaplan (and I may be wrong) is that in category B there is documented risk in animal trials, but there is no data available regarding risk in humans......is that right?

But FDA says no risk in animals for category B.

FDA PREGNANCY CATEGORIES
The FDA-assigned pregnancy categories as used in the Drug Formulary
are as follows:

Category A
Adequate and well-controlled studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy (and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters).

Category B
Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women.

Category C
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

Category D
There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

Category X
Studies in animals or humans have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use of the drug in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.

Thanks Smile
Psych, good morning. Smile Sorry, I fell asleep last night.

So, my understading of Category B drugs is that EITHER they have shown a risk in animal studies, but failed to show a risk in human trials, OR they have not shown a risk in animal studis and there is a lack of adequate studies in humans (pregnant women).

I'll see if I can get solid confirmation on the info. Thanks. Smile
*understanding

*studies

Too many typos. :p
Hi fmg8 Smile
Thank you for taking the trouble to do that. Don't spend much time on it.
Maybe we can follow the statement in the FDA Drug Formulary.
What I wrote up there is word-for-word from the FDA source.
Thanks again. God bless you Smile
My pleasure. No trouble at all. Smile

Yes, I confirmed what you posted from the FDA. Just to follow up:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications...cines.html

http://safefetus.com/search.php/index/fda

Let me know what you think.

God bless you, too. Smile
Thank you for both links and for your precious time Smile

What you posted earlier as well as what's in the two links, all seem to agree, and so I'm going to go with that. Smile

The FDA info I posted is lacking part of the information. So I'm assuming it might be an older version of it.

And, by the way, after making that statement, Kaplan refers to category B as being "relatively safe."

Thank you, once again, for your time. All the best Smile

Very welcome. Smile Thank you, too.
thx fmg,psychm.Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »