Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychiatry 2015 Match - shrinkmuse
I am applying for psych too , and only psych .. currently trying to improve my chances by getting my hands on USCE
214/219/pass no visa needed IMG YOG:2011.. I keep doubting my chances :|
how to prepare for psych residency interview?
hi Iam applying for psychiatry residency program for the year 2015'. How many programs do we have t apply for, any idea? My year of graduation is 2009 and i have aN attempt as well. So, Iam frustrated. Can anyone share their idea about the application?Thanks a lot
I am also applying for psychiatry.
GL to all of us.
Hi everyone,
Usmlecs2014- i don't think there is a definite number of programs you can apply to. Sure the more the better. This is an expensive process so if you can offer it then apply as much as possible.
Personally, i collected 20 programs that I'm sure their requirements fit my credentials and scores. In addition I picked another 10 programs that there is one point i don't fit in.

Also, I'm trying to contact programs which I know it is kinda useless but, just to do my best.hope this will help.

Also, please if people here have past interview experience with psychiatry program just share your insight and if you don't feel comfortable mentioning the program name then just give us the insight without names.

I cant wait till 9/15 Smile

Thx,
Mindful!

can we apply for psych if we don't have a LOR for this speciality????
I do have other LORs ,but I'm old grad and my scores are average..
what special would be suitable
Yes, you certainly, can apply for psych, even if you donot have LORs for psych.
@ faith3232 thanks so much
@soonck : Sure u can apply if you have extra $$$ laying around, but it will be very difficulty to get an interview with such high competition. I psych the programs will see you interest and previous experience in psych. Make sure your application and SOP reflect that

Good luck
Psych programs are getting more applicants year on year and they have the luxury to choose whom they want. I dont want to sound pessimistic but during interviews the most frequent question I got was that " we see you have been doing xyz for a while, why psychiatry" so while applying for psychiatry as a backup for people applying broadly was a good option a few years ago, im afraid the competition is not as simple as many think. If you look at the recent salaries of psych doctors, it is going up, thanks to demand and supply mismatch. For people who are applying psych, LORs are very important, so is credible work experience. And as i stated a fair amount of psych programs are lenient on your YOG,scores if you have a good profile as evidenced in my case with 0 contacts. So do not let your stats deter you, good luck to all. A good thing to get more interviews would be to follow up the PD, write a personalized email stating that you have applied to their program, the salient points in their program that you think you were looking for and request an opportunity to visit interview with them. There was at-least 1 PD who replied and said he did not have enough interview slots and forwarded to his PC for a wait list. Also please do a good job on explaining your transition if you were doing something else before psych clinical experience. Psych faculty are not so naive to believe that uve been for born for psychiatry when your profile screams other specialties. Good luck all!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »