Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychiatry 2015 Match - shrinkmuse
Shrinkmuse,
I second you with your statement about the competition ! Of course if we have another medical experience other than psych we should be sure that we convince the interviwer!

Would you mind sharing your credentials and YOG?

Personally, I developed this interest in the last 2 years and this is why I worked very hard to improve my resume for the psychiatry .

thx
Very well written shrink ...
According to you what went wrong for you in last year's match?
Nothing went wrong. I am a psych intern in a University program now, I should have stated that earlier. It has been a long journey.. I just wanted to give back to the forum and advice my 2 cents so you all did well this season.

And my creds are average of 202, YOG 2007 and ZERO contacts. SO that should give you guys some hope!!
Hi everyone, can someone kindly let me know the minimum duration of psych experience preferred to get into residency. Your kind help will be greatly appreciated.
@soonck No, dont apply without psych LOR, this is the first point I was told by PC of one of the psych program last year upon my rejection question.So, you MUST have LOR from psych, at least one, be done with Step 3 (its a bonus, not mandatory, but a lot of psych programs like it) and have any kind of psych experience,Good luck!
Shrinkm: Congrats for getting into residency. I greatly appreciate what you are doing... Most of us come to this forum get our doubts cleared and then never come back here to give back to this forum ..

Usmle sna : in my opinion there isn't any set limit for psych experience. But you must hv some psych clinical experience to make a point that you are genuine candidate for psych and not simply using it as backup ..
@shrinkmuse,

Do you have any advice for interviewing for psych programs? Are there any red flags during interviews that programs look for? Lifestyle points to avoid bringing up, personal statement no-nos? I got one interview last year and had lots and lots of positive feedback from personal emails from the program director herself saying she would love me at her program, but in the end I suppose my low scores and 2 attempts on ck were not enough to rank me too high.
Psych14, this is an important question I think we need to think about it.
I believe that there were other candidates who ranked that program and they were ranked higher than you just because of there credentials.
But, lets keep thinking about polishing our resumes and IV skills and hopefully we will make it this year.

Good luck
The interviews in psych, atleast where I interviewed were all laid back, tread cautiously where your interests dont match the programs strengths, like research, fellowships. Instead concentrate more on what the programs have and tell them how you worked in that area and liked it. It is always good to know a little more about the city you are going to interview and bring it up during the interview.

PS is a reflection of your persona, so dont covert it into an extended CV. Its good to project yourself in positive light, but dont be blatantly narcissistic. Programs like people who can get along with the others, who are trainable and who are easy to work with. have your PS revised by multiple people for grammatical errors as I was surprised to see many in mine. And treat every program as if you want to match there. The match is a gamble where there are a lot of factors that influence the final outcome. Programs and applicants both know they are not being truthful with the ROLs, until you see your result in March. Also you get graded by all the residents you meet for tours etc, so dont let your guard down even though you can be casual in conversation. Ask for a schedule of your interview day and if you know the faculty area of interest, you can discuss more on it during interview and make an interesting conversation. Hope that helps.
That post is very informative shrink, thanks once again..

Do you know if candidates are evaluated for their personality traits during the interview.. What kind of candidate are they looking for, in order to train him/her to be a future psychiatrist.. ?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »