Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 3 before the match...when? -
simona

Dear friends,
I have found many useful answers reading the last posts on this forum and I hope that you will help me again with a piece of advice.
I intend to participate in the 2004 match and need an H1 visa, but I am not ecfmg certified yet for applying to step 3. (I will take the csa at the end of October ). Do you know when is the deadline for taking the step 3 (and having the results) in order to be eligible for an H1 visa? Is there any chance that the programs let applicants to take the step 3 about the match time or after, yet before starting the program?
Thank you,
Simona
match_mad

hi simona

i guess you should have your ecfmg certificate available sometime in january 04, hopefully in the first part of january. the moment you get your certificate, go ahead and apply for step 3. you will get your scheduling permit in about 2 weeks, sometime in february. then go ahead and schedule the exam as soon as possible. if you sit for it in late february-beginning of march, you could still make it, althought you will probably get your results at the end of march - begining of april.

the critical part is how long it will take to get your csa results and then your ecfmg certificate. if you get it at the begining of january, you still have a chance. if not, it will probably be risky, unless you manage to convince the pd in the program you match to wait for the results a little bit. but the problem is the h1 visa processing time is quite lengthy, and they say you need to have your application submitted by the end of march to ensure you get it in time to start the program...

i hope this helps...

claudiu

btw, are you romanian? i'm too. i just sat for step 3 yesterday, and i'm also looking for h1b.
simona - simone21e

Hi, Claudiu,

That's wonderful news!
Thank you very much for your clearly stated answer and for your encouraging words.This information really helps me, thanks!
Yes, I am Romanian, too and I am interested in keeping in touch with you as it would be nice to share information about exams with someone from the "mioritic" lands.
Good luck with your step 3 result and visa, I'll keep my fingers crossed! Bafta!
Simona

Hope

Hi Romanians, Nice to C people meet on the site:
I need to reconfirm this:
CSA result: 6-8 weeks..
How to apply for the CSA ? How much time in the apps process ? Incl getting some signs and verifications if any etc?
IS getting a slot for the exams with the prometric easy ?
How much time for the step 3 result ?
Do refer to sites if any....THANKS
PF

CSA result 6-10 weeks
CSA apllication: OASIS, print this photo page and get stemp that it is you on the picture, ECFMG is fast with application, app. 2 weeks. Normally there are plenty of slots, but be different close to the match.
Step3 result: 2-4 weeks.
michelle - elaixelaix

Hi, guys!!!

A friendly advice from another mioritic doctor (to be...). You can register for Step 3 THE MOMENT YOU KNOW YOU PASSED CSA. Don't wait for the Certificate. All teh crap about notarized copies is only for COMLEX etc graduates, not for USMLE exams....

I did wait for the certificate, as everyone does, and then the lady in Texas told me on the phone that they actually need only the application form (and the money, of course...). They don't neeed a copy of the ECFMG certificate, and we all wait for it like stupids. In the end I only sent those and now I'm registered for December.
Check at the phone if you don't believe. It will save you a lot of precious time.

bafta!!!

M.
rajat

hi simona
i think i m in the same boat as urs
i took my csa on 7 nov and waitin for the result then ill b takin step3 asap.
have u got ur result... and have u staretd preparin for step3
do u have any idea how much time should be sufficient.

thx
r
JP

Guys u need to send in the Notarized form for Step 3 i have done that and the online step 3 form asks the date when the ECFMG certificate was issued so don't play around. I m talking from my personal experience after applying and getting the dates for step 3.You will need the ECFMG certificate before applying to step 3 anyhow the FSMB will cross check your status with ECFMG before sending the permit. - GL
francesca

Dear Hope, you don't get a CSA date from prometric- don't be confused. You get the date for CSA directly from ECFMG.It works like this: after you have applied, you wait for some days until they confirm your payment( their main concern), then you go on line at ecfmg website or call the number and ask them to schedule you for CSA. Now the problem is ,from my experience they don't have enought dates or they're booked already, and you now once you have picked a date you can't cancell, can't reschedule and you loose your mney if can't take the exam on that date. there are only two centers one in Philadelphia and the other in Atlanta. I don't know were do you live, but i think they go by zipcode(not sure-just an oppinion).As soon as you pick the date they'll give you the center on the screen.
They say 6-8 wks for results, I am in my 8-th wk.
DDt

ON the step 3 form you have to put the date of certificate issue. You can do that even without the certificate being physically present in your hand. Check the Oasis and in it the part about certificate issueance and its date+address it is sent to.

Guys would you please confirm; are there any documents or photocopies to be sent with the form?
Thanx
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »