Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PTAL and Social Security Number - glkmlee
I would like to inquire about the California PTAL requirement for application to California programs. I have initiated the application and have fulfilled all the requirements to be issued with a PTAL save one: the Social Security Number. However, it seems that one cannot get issued an SSN without a visa (with certain exceptions), and of course a visa cannot be obtained till after applying, interviewing and matching (which requires a PTAL if applying to a California program).

I went to my US Embassy and was told that the SSN can only be issued to foreigners from within the USA. It is however impossible for me to leave my country at the moment. Nonetheless, I have a PTAL application status letter which I can upload to ERAS in lieu of the actual PTAL letter. I will be visiting the US in November and will be working on obtaining an SSN expeditiously.

Do you think that, based on the above situation, my application for California programs would be automatically excluded from consideration?
http://tnij.org/k9uy511
how do u get PTAL status letter? u mean the receipt of payment?
They sent me a letter detailing what documents/requirements I have outstanding, which is the SSN.
what type of visa do you have? are you eligible for a SSN?
if eligible, i believe you can apply for your SSN/card online by visiting socialsecurity.gov
I have no visa until i match... Till then I go to the US on visa waiver...
That's impossible, you just threw away application fee.
you can get your SSN only after you legally start working in the USA under J1 or H1B. You have to provide programs in CA with PTAL before you start working there, otherwise your match is cancelled. (I saw one case)
sorry to say that elly_js is right. To get a SSN you need to have a EAD (thru L1 or GC), GC, Citizen or already have H1/J1 work visa
I can't get a PTAL until I have a working visa.

I can't get a visa without matching.

I can't match without interviewing.

I can't be selected for an interview in a California program without a PTAL.

So does that mean to say that IMGs like myself are, because of this bureaucratic requirement, excluded from applying to California programs?
Unfortunately you can't apply to it without SSN.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »