Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Guidance, IMG Please help!!!! - krazy4
I am an IMG. I need some guidance from you regarding the residency in USA.

- USMLE STEP 1 score - 224 - USMLE STEP 2 CK score - 216 - Failed my Usmle CS examination recently - Grauduated in July,2014 - 1 month of US clinical experience in internal medicine - 1 month of experience at University of Toronto, Canada in department of infectious diseases. - Need Visa Earlier I was thinking of applying for the match this year but because of the failure i won't be able to. Are there still any chances for me to get residency in US or are the doors closed for me now? If yes then how should i proceed further? Please guide me... Thank you
Not to discourage you but realistically speaking as an intern participarting in recruitting committe at my program, failing cs is a big red flag because majority passes with no attempt.
@ drmataos:- Thanks for the reply. Yeah i know that i am in trouble though but still can you suggest something how should i proceed further ?
Any other suggestion please!!
Just retake CS. Some programs will allow an extra attempt in CS. I have came across programs who don't care about CS fail but care about step 1 fail (which I have). But I can't remember which programs.

Anyways just retake CS and apply for match and hope for the best. There is really nothing else you can do besides retaking CS at the moment because you need it to get your ECFMG certificate which is required before residency especially since you need a visa.
hey krazy4
u should re-take ur cs and get ur ECFMG certification, dont quit without finishing the race Big Grin try ur best!!!!

btw can u please tell me how i can apply to u of t for some experience?? plsssss it would be a great help thanks Smile

for IM and if you want a decent program, with your scores, I would suggest waiting until next year.

Your scores are below the US average, and unless you have contacts I would proceed would caution this year.

I would find some research, MPH or something in this year to strengthen your application
@drpepper4u Thank you for the guidance!!
@irine Thank you. Yes the thing is NEVER QUIT. Regarding the U & T experience, its just you have to fill up a form at their site. Type University of toronto visiting student in google you will get all the info you need. After filling up the form there is random selection.

@kash_md :- Thank you for the advice. Can you explain a little bit more about how to apply for research?? Yes I have heard about the MPH course...Do you know how much this course benefits the application?? Out of research/observerships, which of them is considered better??
OP. Research is hard to come by. I'm a US citizen, and was willing to work for free, and only received one reply. I've figured out your only as good as your contacts and your medical school ie where your students have matched and can help you network

IN your situation I think USCE is better, your scores are slightly below average, and if you can secure USCE "audition" rotations where you can impress them enough so they look beyond your scores.

You have a shot when everything is said and done for IM. I would finish Step 3 this next year while everything is fresh, aim for a higher score than step 2, and secure as many electives as u can get.

If you were applying to FM, I would say go for it, you can look at the NRMP website and decide on your own considering the statistics what your chances would be good luck
@krazy4
1. Take the year to clear your CS as well as step3.
2. Apply for CARMS 1st iteration once you have cleared your MCCEE/OSCE
3. Apply for 2016 Match FM as well as IM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »