Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pls! help me find out what went wrong!!!! - unlikelytomatchever
I am an IMG, step 1 -88, step 2-92, CS second attempt, ecfmg certified, one month observership pplied in 30 hospitals didn't got a single call.

my list

Hospital of St Raphael Program, New Haven, CT
Internal Medicine

Norwalk Hospital Program, Norwalk, CT
Internal Medicine

St Vincent's Medical Center Program, Bridgeport, CT
Internal Medicine

Stamford Hospital/Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Program, Stamford, CT
Internal Medicine

University of Connecticut Program, Farmington, CT
Internal Medicine

Georgetown University Program, Washington, DC
Internal Medicine

Howard University Program, Washington, DC
Internal Medicine

Washington Hospital Center Program, Washington, DC
Internal Medicine

Drexel University College of Medicine/Saint Peter's University Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ
Internal Medicine

Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center Program, Plainfield, NJ
Internal Medicine

Raritan Bay Medical Center Program, Perth Amboy, NJ
Internal Medicine

Seton Hall University School of Graduate Medical Education Program, Elizabeth, NJ
Internal Medicine

UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Program, Internal Medicine Residency, New Brunswick, NJ
Internal Medicine

Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center Program, New York, NY
Internal Medicine

Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Long Island Jewish Medical Center Categorical Program, New Hyde Park, NY
Internal Medicine

NYU Downtown Hospital Program, New York, NY
Internal Medicine

New York Medical College at Westchester Medical Center Program, Valhalla, NY
Internal Medicine

New York Medical College/Metropolitan Hospital Center Program, New York, NY
Internal Medicine

St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program, New York, NY
Internal Medicine

Abington Memorial Hospital Program, Abington, PA
Internal Medicine

Albert Einstein Medical Center Categorical Program, Philadelphia, PA
Internal Medicine

Lehigh Valley Hospital/Pennsylvania State University Program, Allentown, PA
Internal Medicine

Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh Program, Pittsburgh, PA
Internal Medicine

Shadyside Hospital Program, Pittsburgh, PA
Internal Medicine

St Luke's Hospital Program, Bethlehem, PA
Internal Medicine

Temple University/Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital Program, Johnstown, PA
Internal Medicine

UPMC - Medical Education Program, Pittsburgh, PA
Internal Medicine

UPMC McKeesport Program, McKeesport, PA
Internal Medicine

York Hospital Program, York, PA
when did u apply n why only 30 programs.i m 99 95 applied on 30th october.to 58 programs,got 8 inter.shud have applied to more.
I am a 96-grad, need visa, 99/98/89, no failed attempts, MPH, US PHD, 8 publications, no patient contact for the past 5 years, 1 month observership in an IM program with an LOR from vice chair of medicine, applied on Sept 1 to 38 programs only in IM (did not apply in NY, NJ, IL), 8 interviews, 1 prematch offer (did not accept), MATCHED in IM!

Unfortunately, IM has become very competitive. You should have applied in other disciplines such as FM, Peds and Psych as a backup. Moreover, try to apply to more than 50 programs next year and no later than 1st week of september. Your best chance of getting IM position, I believe, would be to get an observership/externship in a program where they take IMGs. If you have questions/concerns, call 612-333-0441

Good luck
thanks for replying! but why should one apply in 50 or more programs! i mean I am sick of this mentality that apply in 150 something and you can get fluke interview or whatever( sry if i am sounding rude!)
I always thought it's better to research which hospital can accept your application, what are your chances and choices and then apply in limited hospitals. I don't know how US syatem works, I mean i have seen low scorers with no extra skill getting interview in these programs where i applied but i didn't got it.
I just want to ask you guys wether my selection of hospital was decent enough.
I absolutely agree with chikgary. With your credentials U could have easily matched, if U had applied to more programs, diversified and applied to areas other than North East US. As it happens majority of the IMGs with excellent scores, apply to this area (whatever the reasons they have...like visa etc.) hence far more competetive here. In addition, for future, I will also suggest that
1. U apply to programs other than university based....UB programs are under pressure to accomodate AMGs primarily (lots of economics behind).
2. Strengthen your application with USCE in an accredited program.
3. Take step 3.
And I am sorry that U could not match this year.
i think this person want to get some idea about the programs he is interested in. he just copy and paste the programs from the program list.
i think so too.many just putting up pretext of not being matched and getting info.........evoking sympathy.whereas others who are asking fr info stating that 07 candidates,are getting no responses at all!!like me,yes i AM pissed off.
I think it may be because of the schools you applied to. I had 75/75 in steps 1 and 2 respectively,no USCE and i matched. Best of luck next year
I think constant follow up with e-mail/Phone is also important after applying to enhance chance of getting interview.

"but why should one apply in 50 or more programs! i mean I am sick of this mentality that apply in 150 something and you can get fluke interview or whatever"........
"I always thought it's better to research which hospital can accept your application, what are your chances and choices and then apply in limited hospitals"
This sums it up all....u need 2 have the rite attitude too!!!!..u sound too arrogant to be practical.so if u thot it is always better 2 research which hospital can accept ur application...does that mean ur research was wrong,since u havent matched....or ur whole thought process is wrong?Now,i might be sounding arrogant in this reply,but when i hear so many cases about not-matching-inspite-of-gud-scores,and so many guys with 99-99 r so humbe to think practically and apply 2 some 60-70 programs,ur post was ,indeed,very arrogant.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »