Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed Step 3 - bvr312
Hi all,
I failed step 3 by 3 marks...
And I am applying this 15th as I dont have a choice..
Can somebody please tell me whether I should say YES for the release of USMLE transcripts?
If I say NO- then I have a doubt that the programs will not get even my Step 1, 2 ck and cs results...
Please correct me if I am wrong..
And what will be my chances of getting an interview with this remark?

Thank you in advance

hi bvr312

That is a tough situation, I am sorry to hear that.

I personally think you dont really have a choice but to release the USMLE transcripts. Cause programs will not even review your app if the scores arent received.

I dont want to give you false reassurances, because a current fail does hurt. But try to apply broadly and I wish you the best.
your chances are very very tough.

I personally would not apply without a contact who understands your situation.

Just a thought bvr, have you applied to retake the exam. I would try to do so at the earliest possible, but now you can only register for the new exam which starts in November. The results wont be out till April cause of data pooling hmm...
clueymd it makes no difference to retake this year.

April is past the match. You'll have to have a program take a chance on you, and without doing a elective/observership/contact I believe you are going to find it difficult for a program to rank you in front of the 1000s of IMGs with all their scores and paperwork in order
Thank you cluemd and kash_md.

Ya I found out from fsmb that I can register now but give the exam only in November...Sad
Very true Kash I agree. But waiting a year would mean bvr has to find something to fill in the gap. Maybe bvr can try doing observerships, etc like you suggested
@bvr312,

I know its a tough situation, but you still have to apply this year.
I read on sdn that most programs dont filter based on step 3 scores, so they may still see your application, and depending on other step scores yo may get some IVs.

It will be tough but you still have to give it a shot.
Everything seems in order, and the OP should apply this year if money is no object.

Nonetheless, the OP should aggressively pursue plan B) observerships, start residency in home country, research, MPH degree and most importantly repeating the step 3 examination

If there was not a delay in the scores until April, I would say go for it,

but considering the circumstances I don't see a program, or a good one at least putting someone with a current fail on step 3 high on their ROL. It is a big RED FLAG, residents have been dismissed from programs for failing their Step 3. Why would they take that chance?

OP, get your application in order, and apply next year.
If you have contacts and or former colleagues from your program with similar stats who can vouch for you with program directors then by all means apply. If money is no object apply and apply BROADLY!
@crafted,

true STEP3 won't be filtered but imagine sitting in an admissions interview and having to explain a failed step3, and convincing a program to take match you, when they don't know if you will pass or not the second time by the time the match is completed. If your scores are really high in step1/2 maybe step 3 is an anomaly, if you got below the US average both times you should not apply

OP, you must look at this objectively, any other year, with no delay in STEP3 scores I would say apply, but this year is the exception, work on your STEP3 and your CV, LORs and apply next year

I don't see a program director taking a chance on a person who failed Step3 above someone who has not.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »