Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass: My experience - teardrop1
Hi all,
Just wanted to try to contribute a little with my experience on this Journey that just ended....
Context: PGY-3 Internal Medicine
My exam was on Sep 11 and 12
My "prep" was very disorganized due to my schedule but basically it consisted on the following:
UW: Did 61% of the questions with an avg of 68% (random, unused, timed). Went through the explanations of those ones (did not have time to complete the whole bank).
UW CCS cases: Did around 25 cases. At one point got really frustrated with the software but a friend recommended to go over Archer videos. He does go over some cases and I found it very useful (just went over the cases that he did).
MTB: It was very useful specially for Peds and OBGYN. I had completely forgotten even basic stuff in those subjects so pretty much every question or CCS case that involved those topics I found myself neglecting during my preparation. 3 days before my exam, I went through the OB and GYN chapters. 2 days before my exam I read Peds. That was very helpful.
Also, the day before the exam I went briefly over the IM chapters just to get an idea of the most common things that were tested on this exam. That was helpful too.
The exam:
Day 1: Felt terrible. Such a looooonnnnng exam!!!. Many questions coming from God knows where and, the fact that I was so tired by the 4th block, I found myself making simple mistakes, having time management problems. Had some easy questions too but felt very insecure in a big number of them. In general, got out of the test center with mixed feelings and very tired.
Day 2: MCQs were definitely shorter and I felt they were a lot easier. Maybe they just had some mercy on me...
CCS cases were fine. I think if you get familiar with the software you should not have much problem with it. Most of them ended really fast except for one (I still have no idea what she had).
My score: 233
One last thing. I was very anxious during this waiting period and was thinking of all the mistakes I made. I thought that maybe I had failed the exam and this whole thing. It's very hard to predict your score so just try your best during your preparation and during the exam and, after you leave the test center, try not to be so hard on yourself. There is not much you can do after the exam is over. Seriously, I think the worst part is the waiting. If I could change only one thing of my experience, that's the only thing I would change.
Any questions, feel free to ask Smile
Congratulations on being done!! You must feel great. Do you think MTB 3 and uworld is enough? I don't have the Archer videos and I'm wondering if it's worth going through them.
congratulations and thanks,

i did ccs-uw 5-6 times but still screwed up on 3 cases on css and i am scared.... 233 is awesome good luck
@ chocolate: Thanks.
I do Believe UW and MTB3 are enough. Having said that, I think you will still get questions that you have no idea where they are coming from ( same way it happens in all steps ).
Regarding Archer, I don't think it's necessary. Archer is not about "medicine" per se but it does help you to navigate through the cases ( I think UW is very good but to me it sucks that they don't give score in the CCS). If you feel comfortable going through the cases then you don't need it. You could even ask a friend who is done with the exam to help you if you feel that you need help.
Best of luck in your exam
@ Anbesa:
Thanks.
If that was your only problem during the exam I think you will be fine. All you can do now is wait.
Good luck with your score.
congrats teardrop1.

anbesa, just a friendly advise....why would you take a risk with CCS especially, when it is going to be one determining factor on new step 3? day 2 has ccs and averages are taken for passing score.
As most people say, Archer really makes CCS a cake walk . I am doing it and I do think UW does not truly guide you and leaves you to practice on your own . More than that, there are things on updated CCS software with timing of orders etc that is whole different from UW software.
How would you know you are following the strategy that works on CCS? Archer made CCS a simple task especially, if you listen to strategies video and watch demonstrations he shows.
gmason,
my firend: i watched all archer's CCS ($88). i did uw ccs five or six times over and over and over (maybe more).... until i was tired of doing it.
i studied hard for the exam (really hardSmile).

archer mentioned if we get hard CCS might be a good sign b/c they (the program) want to challenge us...??? i hope soSmile

i had 2 cases where the pt had 1 CC (chief complaint) but the diagnosis is completely different.... first i had to take care of their CC then i had to take care of the really (underlying) problem.... and i was able to figure their underlying prob at the end (~15mins)....

(one of the pt had X problem and then i find she had Y at the end...)

i hope archer is right and i pass my examSmile
i am praying hard (i was planing to do well on this exam 240+++ but i am not sure any more....i want to pass!!!

i think i was very tired on 2nd daySad

congrats, I have same experience as yours for mcqs but messed up couple of cases and now so anxious. my result will come this week,super tensed.
@happysoul123
good luck please let me know how you did...
i have to wait TWO more weeksSad
i am sure you know how i am feeling..... i am tense tooSmile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »