Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it me or is 240+ the new cut off? - tundri
Hey there guys!

My question: I scored 234 on Step 1, and I know it's above the mean. That said, I've consistently seen that now, for some reason, programs want way more than that. I get that looking into forums to predict how match season is going, is not very effective, but I do notice the trend of only being granted and interview if your scores are above 240 and for other programs, above 250. I think realistically, with my 234 I'll be filtered out by many many programs. Considering also that I'm a 2010 USIMG. I do have potential to score way above that, but I cut myself short on a few subjects that I didn't even look at because I wanted to rush to apply this season- bad move. Anyway, have you also noticed this on some programs only inviting those 240+ for interviews?

Thanks.
That depends on the program you want to apply to. You're correct, IM programs are looking for 240+ but you won't get filtered out at 234. You'll most likely be in the maybe pile and get called on for any cancellations. For FM, 234 is a very competitive score. Regardless, make sure to score over 240+ on step 2 CK and you should be fine. Competition is tough this year .
My score is less than that and I have 6 interviews so far. 2 in IM and 4 in FM. But I also have several observerships in US university programs that got me good LORs and I passed step 3. So I think scores are important if you want interviews in competitive programs that filter people based on scores. Some programs actually look at the whole application. So I would recommend to focus on improving your application and don't stress out about a score that cant be changed and you will get interviews.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »