Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pharmacology study group - bugguy19
Hi, pharmacology is always a challenge for me , I want to put an extra work and I think step one is my chance to improve my pharmacology.

I want to dedicate this thread to all who struggle with pharmacology , please feel free to join the discussion.

We all did Kaplan and Fa , but lets add more hy source , mnemonic and enjoy some clinical cases .

I am planning to use Lange flashcards, I will try to cover most of the hy drugs , so lets start Smile
I like to join.thx
Hello bugguy :-)
I'm here too :-)
I'm bad at pharmacy. I studied 1hr of pharmqc with a SP previously from FA.
If you can post which topic you will be discussing before hand may be we will be prepared for that and may be the discussion will be more productive.

What do you think?
I m in..
Hey , welcome am so happy to see that quick response Smile

For 2 weeks starting today we will do antibiotics

Here is the general classification then I will start the clinical cases

B-lactam

1/Penicillins

✴natural penicillin ✈✈✈penicillin G, penicillin V ,procain penicillin , Benzathine penicillin

✴penicillanase resistant penicillin ✈✈ Nafcillin ,Oxacilln ,Methicilln , Cloxacillin

✴Extended spectrum penicillin ✈✈✈ Ampicillin, Amoxicillin

✴Antipseudomonal penicillin ✈✈ Ticarcillin , Carbenecillin , Piperacillin, Mezlocillin

2/ Cephalosporins

✴1st Generation ✈✈✈ Cefazolin ,cefadroxil , cephalexin ,cephradine

✴2nd Generation ✈✈Cefador, cefuroxime,Cefoxitin, Cefamandole ,Cefaclor, cefametazol

✴3rd Generation✈✈Cefixime ,Cefotaxime ,cefoperazole ,cefpodoxime ,cefdinir,

✴4th Generation ✈✈✈ Cefepime
✴5th Generation ✈✈✈Ceftobioprole , ceftaroline

4/Carbapenems✈✈✈(Imipenem +cilastatin ) , meropenem

5/ Monobactam✈✈✈Aztreonam

✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴Protein synthesis inhibitors ✴✴✴✴

1/Tetracyclines

Demeclocycline
Doxycycline
Minocycline
Tetracycline

2/ Aminoglycoside

Amikacin
Gentamycin
Neomycin
Streptomycin
Tobramycin
Netilmycin

3/Macrolides

Azithromycin
Clarithromycine
Erythromycin

4/chlpramphenicol

5/Clindamycine

6/Quinupristin / Dafopristin

7/ Linezolid

8/Spectromycin

Folate Antagonist ✈✈✈✈✈✈

1/ inhibitors of Folate synthesis

Silver sulfadiazine
Succinyl sulfathiazole
Sulfacetamide
Sulfadiazine
Sulfamethoxazole

2/ Inhibitors of Folate reduction

Pyrimethamine
Trimethoprim

3/ Inhibitors of both synthesis and reduction

Co-trimoxazole (TMP/SMX)

✴✴✴✴✴✴✴Quinones and Fluoroquinolone ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴

1st Generation ✈✈✈Nalidixic acid
2nd Generation ✈✈✈ciprofloxacin,Norfloxacin,Ofloxacin , Levofloxacin
3rd Generation ✈✈✈Gatifloxacin
4th Generation ✈✈✈✈ Moxifloxacin , Gemifloxacin

Urinary tract antiseptic ✈✈✈✈ Methenamine , Nitrofarantoin
Case # 1

A 22 year man present to your clinic complaining of a new lesion on his penis for 1 week , on physical examination you find a single ,pain less ulceration with a firm border . upon further questioning ,you discover that he has been having un protected sexual contact with several individuals over the last several months . physical examination is also remarkable for enlarged lymph nodes in the groin ,axilla and supraclavicular regions. Suspecting a specific STD , you send him to the laboratory for RPR and VDRL . when he return from the laboratory ,you empirically treat him with a shot of a common antibiotic and you worn him. About rare side effect which is development of hemolytic anemia

Sorry for the big gap
Case # 2

A 54 year old man present to your clinic complaining of 3 week history of sever sinus congestion . He describe his sinus congestion as green and purulent and he has also report fever to 100.4 F . He has been trying symptomatic therapy with nasal decongestant for the last 2 weeks with no improvement in his symptoms . yoyo decide to prescribe him an antibiotic to cover the likely pathogen ( pneumococcus , H influenza , Moraxella ) that may be causing his symptom .
Case #3

A 54 year old iv drug abuser is admitted to the hospital with suspected osteomyelitis, in his lumber spine . blood culture are taken in the emergency room and broad spectrum antibiotics are started . after 2 days his blood culture demonstrate growth of pan sensitive S. aureus . in order to prevent overuse of stronger antibiotic that should be reserved for multidrug resistant cases , you discontinue the current broad regimen of medication and you begin the patient on more specific iv antibiotic .
Case 1.. 3 rd GEN CEpha -Ceftriaxone-
CAsE 2.... 2ND GEN cephalosporins (HENPECKS as in FA)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »