Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age and residency? - aladdin09
I just want to ask, Is it lawful to discriminate against age in the match process. Is it against the American labor low to ask and discriminate about age? If this is true to reject any candidate due to his or her year of graduation should be illegal. Anyone input on this. My understanding is that the residency is a training program funded by the US government. I don’t think my age will stop me for getting a federal student loan so why should it be an issue for getting in a residency program.
Age of graduation is NOT about your physical age. A 50 year old can just graduate from medical school and be a perfect candidate for interviews being a recent graduate. Age of graduation (YOG) has more to do with how long it is perceived you have been away from an active medical setting.
Hi with all respect, you could be old medical graduate but still actively practicing medicine but they never ask if you are practicing or not.
If I am an old IMG I do not yet do my step 1 usmle can I apply in medical school in USA and after graduation be able to get a residency because I have 18 years gap now
@aladdin: you have to be in an active medical system in the USA. Programs do not care for foreign experience.
https://www.change.org/p/robert-m-wah-md...y-for-them
@google.com: I will appreciate if you can tell me how to get into the medical system in USA. I have been working in clinical research and basic research since i graduated from the medical school, i have done handful of observership, I don't know what do you mean by active in the medical system in USA?
Thank you for all your suggestions

YOG > 5yr is old grad. The only way it will not be a big issue is when you pass all steps with great scores, have good USCE( not just observaships) but externship , research etc and get good LoRs from the USCE . Some community programs would not mind your YOG if you have the above mentioned and also finished residency in home country and been actively practicing clinical medicine. Any gap is a big red flag

PA programs will not even accept course credits that you received over 5 yrs ago simply because it's old and rusty
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »