Really grateful for advice kashmd or anyone else re: my situation

Background:

Graduate from Dublin Ireland - > 5 yrs back
Completed residency in NZ
USMLE scores 256/264/235 respectively CS 1st attempt
3 months USCE - 3 US LORs 1 NZ one
5 Publications in Pubmed
No gaps

Wanting to move to US as lot family moved here recently and I get on fine with system here.

Applied to IM (110 programs) I need visa I got 3 iv and bit doubtful matching to be honest. For me I feel it is YOG that has really scuppered my application. Scores fine. My school is known and good amount of western experience.

Do you have any advice kash or others how I could strengthen my application for next year please? Not sure what to do and disappointed with how this season has gone so far Sad

Thanks again appreciate any responses
When you say more than five years for your YOG, can you be more specific?
did you apply broadly? I'm European and 5 years out as well and got 21 interviews. Scores lower than yours.
Nope I don't think YOG has done much harm to your application because you have been clinically active in a great place where it can be easily be verified where you were working. I have honestly met quite a few people with YOG 2002-2004 who have also been clinically active but their scores are nowhere near yours but they have landed 6-9 ivs. The only caveat was that they were all US citizens. you need to do observorships or externships.
I have a feeling you will match though because US loves European grads especially those from Ireland and UK.
8 years to be precise

i applied broadly avoided places like MGH etc also

congrats winnie i think being YOG 5 you dont get filtered as most set it at that level am sure you got great profile though too!

you go to school in Ireland too or somewhere else?

I need visa too!
You will match, I am sure of this
thanks boardreview appreciate your confidence the PD were all positive to me and my experience at iv but none said going to rank me 1 lol

i feel YOG filtered me from a lot of places unfortunately there goes the way unfortunately Sad
Not Ireland. I think the main issue is that you need a visa. Any chance you can get a green card? Many of the programs I interviewed at do not sponsorize visas. I am very, very lucky that I don't need one. Other than that, you sound like a very desirable candidate.
you are going to be ok for this match even with 3 interviews, especially if they are places a) you rotated in b) take IMGs (how old is your USCE btw? are we talking about from your med school days or recently)

start networking with ppl from your old school (RCSI?) find attendings and residents who attended and contact them, you could put this off until march once the match is certain

what kind of physician are you? this will open doors for a post doc or better a non acgme fellowship for next year just to buy time ie if you are an GI doc you can do a one year endoscopy fellowship but I would go down the research route personally.

I've noticed that some programs are reluctant to interview specialized doctors, a hem onc doc I worked with with no attempts is having this problem but his stats are not good as yours.

I could get a GC through the EB2-NIW scheme I have been told by attorney based on my profile but it takes some months so doubt would be ready for the next match

yeah if you have GC sure helps winniepruh...are u a US citizen or get GC via marriage or something?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »