Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone please explain.. - dhstudent05
Can someone please explain how the residency match process is in the applicants favor.. I keep reading this but do not understand how it favors the applicant in any way..
U rank programs how u want to rank or which every speciality or mixed. Rank competitive ones highest. As if ur least competitive one at #10 etc ranks U high u still have that position unless u match in one of ur top ranks.
It is not in favor of any side.
its in favor of the applicant. if you read about how the match algorithm works youll understand why. youtube "match algorithm"
It's a philosophical discussion. Doesn't help us much.
Let's say two program want you desperatley and they rank you in number one. Now you got to choose where you want to go and the two programs can't decide about you. It seems like it's in your favor, ya? This is the simle explanation.
Let's say two applicants want program A desperately and those two applicants rank program A in number one. Now the program A got to choose which one it wants to have and the two applicants can't decide about the program A. It seems like it's in the programs' favor. And vice versa is true. This is why I am saying the match algorithm is not in favor of any side. It is in favor of excellent applicants and excellent programs.
@cherryberry, continuing on your example; if the program ranks the second applicant as well, and there is a spot left, she got to match with that program, i.e. both applicants match to that super duper prog.

so I think it's in favor of the applicant, as swanneck explained
@oakramble
But the program still has the key to the ranking of applicants, for example, one applicant on the top and the other in the bottom. Those two applicants desperately want the program but one will get matched and the other will not.
Thank you all for your input and explanations. I wish you all nothing but success in the match and beyond... God bless
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »