Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far down do programs usually go in their ROL? - chloet
Hey everyone, this is obviously a stressful time for everyone, but i've been wondering for a while now- how far programs typically go down their ROL?
I'm particularly interested in FM and IM.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance...
From what I've heard is that for a program that has 10 spots, they usually will fill in the first 50-60 that they have listed.
It totally depends on the reputation of the program.

It can be anywhere from #20 to #75 for 10 spots!
That varies each year.
Yea very true, I was just giving a general avg for majority of programs. These newer programs will easliy go into the 100's to fill 10-15 spots.
is that different for different specialties too ?
What about FM with 4-6 positions, how far can they go ? Any idea anyone ?
Depends many FM programs fog unmatched. Ones in Arkansas or undesirable locations are either unmatched or go till the very end of their rank list
Hi everyone,

any idea about community psychiatry programs on the east cost??
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2...a-2014.pdf

its on page 43. for internal medicine it was 6.5 ranks down per position. for family medicine it was 5.6 ranks down per position.

but like others mentioned there are a lot of other factors, this is just a mean. university programs will go through less and community programs will go through more to fill their spots. theres also luck. i know a decent/good program that last year matched 4 positions just with its top 5 ranks but the year before it went into the SOAP.

i also have to disagree with gardening. undesireable locations is subjective. people who graduate from medical school in arkansas tend to fill up the positions in arkansas and they never go unfilled. same goes for other similar states . the states that have less programs end up filled by their own medical school graduates who were born and raised there and prefer to stay there. this is true for AMG states (where you barely see any IMG)....however for IMG states such as NJ, NY, etc. even undesireable locations fill up quickly because IMGs will go anywhere as long as they Match theyll be happy so they arent going to Not rank a program because of a bad location and IMGs generally need to rank more places to match than AMG do so they may go further down their own ROL before they match somewhere and that may be an undesireable location.

when you look at the list of programs that go into the SOAP every year, youll see that there really is no trend. you wont find moer than a couple programs that year after year end up in SOAP. they strategize and learn from their ranking mistakes and so when they do end up in SOAP it is through sheer bad luck. youll see top programs like UCLA sometimes in the SOAP.
Thanks sys... it was informative ... so for psychiatry on average 4.9 applicants were ranked to fill each position.. that means for ten positions they would a program on average would rank 49 applicants .. but this does not translates into how far down the program may go to match all positions..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »