Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University vs Community programs. - handsome88
What's the deal with everyone saying that you have to get into a university program to get competitive fellowships? Why is that?

I'm an FMG, want to do cardiology and ranked my #1 hospital as a community program above top-mid tier university programs.

What advantage does university programs give you? Do fellowsihp PDs just throw away your application if it wasn't from a university program?

One reason I can think of would be research opportunities. But what if there are well-known faculty that do research at the community program? Does that make it equal to a university one?

I just feel stupid now that I ranked a community program above my university ones.
community vs university are a relative terms. Many universities like are not academically that strong as some good community programs are. First and foremost difference is that university hospitals are not that busy and follow acgme rules more accurately means residents have better life , less workload and more time for research. Universities have more resources for research and better funded then most of the community programs. And naturally they have better shot at fellowships down the road. Better many community programs are also amazing with excellent fellowship match rates. I ranked one community program in my top 3 and many residents from that program match into cleveland, harvard (brigham) etc , so go with a program which is good academically not just the tag of university
Semantics. Technically Mayo and CCF are "community programs" so not all community programs are easier

If it is a strong community program then a PD will not throw out your application I wouldn't worry.

Not all community programs are created equal there is a spectrum from top tier like CCF MayO to mid tier like Lankenau and Methodist Houston to the bottom tier which I will not name you can figure this out yourself
So are mid tier community programs like Lankenaeu and Methodist Houston considered equal to mid-tier university programs?
You can get into a fellowship coming from either program. You need to work harder in a community hospital to reflect that you have being involved in academic activities related to that specialty , but it is doable
Also Programs like University or Community that have fellowship always rank their students ahead of others and for sure give their students interview and favorism.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »