Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options after completing IM residency on J1!!! plz - gidoccc
Hello everyone,

What can we do after completion of IM residency on J1 visa?

1- go back to your own country
2- enter fellowship
3- or do a waiver job

If I get to choose 2nd option (entering fellowship) do I still have to do the waiver job after completion of fellowship??

PLZ Someone clarify it for me plz.

THANKS and GL to everyone on the match.
Yes, you have to satisfy the 2 year HRR regardless, either through a waiver or going back for 2 years.
yes, but the tricky part is it will be difficult to find the waiver job after fellowship. (I didn't say impossible). Most of the waiver jobs are in primary care field.
It is possible to get your waiver job after fellowship. You will most likely practice in your primary care field. There is some provision allowing you to practice your sub specialty for a few hours per week. Some decide to do their waiver first and then try to pursue a fellowship afterwards.
Thanks a lot for replying guys

you'll find waiver jobs in almost all IM sub-specialties.

In my experience in Healthcare consultancy, we have even managed to find waiver jobs for IMGs who didn't finish their step3 within 7 years (a few states allow you to do them within 10 years)

The only ppl who had trouble are those who wanted a waiver job in a specific city or location.

This is how it breaks down after fellowship, either your academic fellowship program loves you and they give you a waiver in house or you have to go find a position (you'll find one just don't be picky about location and if it is more rural, you might have to do a little primary care)

My only advice is. In this free time. If you have a heavy accent, invest in a speech pathology or whatever course. It will make a difference in jobs, with your patients, etc

Bottom line is, when a group/ (competitive) practice hiring a physician in ie MIssissipi for example, the reason 90% of the time when a practice says only hire an AMG versus an IMG is because of communication problems ie accent

IMGs are not discriminated against because of a knowledge deficiency[unless you have multiple attempts and some practices do ask about attempts] (some old school docs will discriminate against carib students ie "easy way out") ---> so if you have some free time now, start watching movies or see a professional and tone down the accent as much as possible. This is the best advice i can give you in a field where patients will judge your competence in part by how much they understand you.
to kash_md;

you said step3 with in 7yrs and waiver jobs... if this is not going off topic, may i ask you little more about it? I have seen this on couple state medical board web sites.
for example in New Jersey( Must complete USMLE Steps 1, 2, and 3, within seven (7) years of passing the first examination)... if some one has a gap of more than 7 years between 1st exam and step3.. then can he do a waiver job to get an exempt ? I am confused about all this 7 years rule thing.
would appreciate your kind reply.
Thanks.
All oh them are posible, you can do any fellowship wit J1
Depending on the state credentialing board requirements you can get a waiver job if you find someone to hire you. please see this website should answer all of your questions

http://library.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »