Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residency prep Thread - u_mad_bro
I've noticed that there's been grave amount of useless and unnecessary posts here during this match. As we anxiously anticipate match day, I thought how about liven up the forum with something useful that everyone can actually benefit from academically. I was hoping to create a thread where people can post random clinical information perhaps from USMLE study notes or from actual clinical experiences.
Great start, u_mad_bro.
I'll start off...

- Desmopressin can be used in prolonged bleeding in renal failure patients. It acts by increasing the release of factor VIII:Von Willebrand from the endothelium.
Pentoxyphyline ( phosphodiasterase inhibitor) is also used to decrease proteinuria as an add on therapy to ACE/ARB/ Aldo antagonist.
Neudexta is new FDA approved drug for severe depression with excessive crying or inappropriate laughing spells
too much to post

all i gotta say

read "whats new" i uptodate
very helpful esp cause dey talk abut new journal articles.

for floor work I plan on getting a copy of some book i heard was good.. I think it was called Toronto notes? somethin like that?
Gaucher disease is caused by glucocerebrosidase deficiency that results in glycolipids accumulating within lysosomes. Clinical symptoms of the most common type include splenomegaly, anemia, and thrombocytopenia.

Dx- measurement of less that 15% of glucocerebrosidase activity.

Rx- Enzyme replacement therapy. FDA recently approved an oral glucocerebrosidase synthase inhibitor called Eliglustat for treatment of Gaucher disease type 1.
@gardening...the symptoms you described above is called PBA (pseudobulba affect) Smile
@chuckchu- I thought it described the 'non-matched' effect loll.
@chuckchu, it is actually spelled pseudobulbar affect.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »