Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
took step 1 today! - willpassstep1
I really want to MY perspective about the USMLE exam I took today for everyone. Sharing is Caring Smile Mind you..I'm a totally average student. Actually I didn't do that well in basic science and I struggled a lot. So for all my "under-dogs" out there you could do it...

(NO CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER)
1. Lots of Anatomy (and this is one subject that I took lightly) Some of the q's you could answer with FA knowledge, but many were beyond that...#1 regret. Hit anatomy with your best effort..

2. First block was a Killer! But I was prepared for that and didn't allow it to kill my confidence. So prepare for that...I suggest to do the first two block back-to-back. Second block was easier. Boost back your confidence.

3. A lot of q's you could answer with just FA knowledge. Some q's were straight recall and very easy...you know the type of q's that are just so easy that you could still miss? yea..that type.

4. 2 heart audio q's

5. 3 or 4 Biostat....i know right? i was dying trying to learn those Uworld Biostat q's. But look they ask for the basic biostat q's.

5. Wasn't hit that hard with endo (mostly what hormones go up or down type of thing) or git q's

6. repeated q's from nbme 16. (like 2 or 3 i think)

7. Exam format was just like UWORLD...but some q's were a bit long. I always read the last line and skim thru the answers first...that's my strategy..so I did well with time. I hear people talking about they had to keep scrolling down when trying to read the q and answer...but I didn't see that.

8. I can't "stress" this enough... (lol) there were a lot of Stress incontinence questions...I literally skimmed through cardio69 q's and i literally had like 4 q's almost similar to his q's.
here is the link:http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=801368
Also deff go through this link too http://www.medbullets.com/step1-renal/15...continence.

don't do more than that...

9. Pharm q's were straight FA. Memorize the hell out of that. and you'll do fine.

10. A lot of step 2 q's...like what's the best next step...(urrgghhh!!!!!) Also had about 2 or 3 ethic q's per block.

11. hmmmmmm what else...skip lol

12. Honestly...FA, Pathoma, UWORLD, and online NBME's will get you through. Really take the time to do NBME. Actually understand each q...a lot of the q's were testing the same concepts just worded differently.

13. what you just don't know.. guess and skip...then if you have time go back to the question.

14. Is the exam hard...mmmmm YES! but do-able? "eff YEA"

I honestly don't know if I pass. But I could say I'm proud to be a USMLE test taker. Atleast I know what to prepare for next time around..but I'm praying..hopefully I passed.

Any other q's let me know...I could answer until tomorrow then I'm out for some time Smile

Hope this helps?

Last personal advice..And I really hope this doesn't offend others..Sometimes coming on this forum can really hurt your confidence. Again this is just my personal opinion. I see a lot of people talking about their 250's or 260's (which is deff amazing!!!!) or people talking about how they failed etc etc. Which is all fine and all, but I could understand how that could really get to someone. So what I did was I promised myself to only come on the forum like once a week or when I really need to ask a question. I stayed away from the forum one week before my exam. Confidence and controlling your anxiety is key. I was literally scared of this exam. I understand it's very important, but it's not the end of the world. I'm not trying to belittle the importance of doing well, but for some people they know the info but they are just scared. I swear if I could do it..any of you can. And i'm really trying to reach out to people who are struggling..sitting studying for a year or more. It's time to face the Beast. When you sit down to take the USMLE you realize how privileged you are...I wish you the best
congrats .thankyou!!!
Good luck
thank you !
thanks for sharing Smile goodluck!!
congrats! wish you all the best and try to be positive! thanks for the feed back and support!
thank you all!!!!!

I will try @briadr
May i know your nbme score before taking the exam?

Oh jeez why must they add more anatomy to the test..why...:/
I think my strategy for anatomy will just be educated guesses. Really don't have enough time to review and memorize it. Already forgetting simple information from other subjects.
Wish you the best of luck! Enjoy being done with step 1. Smile Thanks!
willpassstep1 --Great post, you really stated things that some of us want to hear- I really hope you pass with great score! I'm that person who's paranoid of taking this test and can't help myself... :{

Congrats on finally taking the exam... All the best Smile
@aimhigh2015 you just got it face it my friend. you have to realize that's it there waiting for you. that seat where your suppose to take the exam is not going anywhere...its waiting for YOU! so you need to face it. Set a date and work towards it.

Thanks again!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »