Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am I too old ??! - oldgradd
Hi guys, I want to apply for IM match next year.. actually i wanted to apply this year , but due to some personal reasons i have to wait till next match (2016), recently some of my friends told me I was a bit old due to YOG (2010), and won't get that many IVs :-(

IS IT TRUE that my YOG will affect my CV that much??

Here is my credentials..

Graduation year - 2010
step 1 - 247
step 2 - 256
step 2 cs- passed (1st attempt)
all 1st attempt
have 5 publications, some oral presentations
Visa - permanent resident
USCE - 6 months IM observerships at University Hosp.

What do u think guys? please leave your inputs here regarding my profile

Thank you
* sorry for the typo in the topic name
No you are not old. You'll be fine. Clear step 3 if you can.
My God! what are you saying? your application is excellent! definitely you would get it if you had applied. just try to find connection for next year
Thank you oakramble.
Honestly speaking you will be filtered by a number of programs. However with excellent stats and your visa situation I cant imagine that you would have much trouble getting a nice amount of interviews. Make sure to apply broadly. Cast a wide net and apply to as many programs as you can afford. Unfortunately applying as an IMG is a bit of a numbers game and getting an application looked at is difficult so you need to apply to every program you can.
If you are really who you say you are & with this credentials, you will get enough IVs (atleast 10) to match.
Your only red flag is yog >5 yrs but you have so many good things in CV to neutralize it.
Write step 3 & get more usce before September 15th !
No your credentials are very very good. You will get 10+ interviews. It will affect your chances in the university hospitals because usually they prefer young fresh graduates, because they compare them to their students. but be careful if you did not do anything clinical from 2010 until 2016 you will be asked about it. I have been asked one time about the last 4 months after the graduation what I did and I was shocked by his question. you can do step 3 it will cover some gap if you
Thank you guys!!!! I feel relieved, ive scheduled step 3 for june 3rd week.

@beach11, probably that is the worst thing for me to not get into an university program, but I know someone who got into St Barnabas Nj IM with similar YOG as of mine, but i think he had contact in the program, not sure though..

are you the 1st author in those 5 publications?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »