Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some thoughts for those who didn't match.. - diverticulosis
Hi guys, so most of you who follow this forum know that I did not match this year in my 2nd attempt. Feeling devastated and depressed doesn't seem to describe the range of emotions that I'm feeling, and this feeling I do not wish upon anyone. Especially give how hard each and everyone who participated in the match has worked to even get to this point. I find it difficult to deal with not only that I failed to match and cannot move on with my life, but also I harbor feelings that I've let my family down, my friends down, aunts and uncles and other family members down. It's a horrible feeling to see your friends move on and match, and as much as you wish them well u can't help but to feel that you should have been in the same position, laughing and crying with family as you prepare for the next journey as a resident.

I thought I had good board scores, avg step 1 score, 240+ on step 2 CK (both on 1st attempt), CS pass (2nd attempt) which I know surely killed my application, and I'm also a US citizen and US college graduate. I feel for everyone who is in this same position, questioning what to do next. What research to do, what observerships to do, who to contact, and truth be told it is not as easy as some say. I live on the East Coast and have emailed and contacted so many programs, hospitals, applied for jobs in the area, but to no avail. In order for me to travel out of town for observerships or other opportunities, it will end up costing thousands more, and still no guarantee at the end that it will work out for us. But in the midst of all this confusion and strange mix of feelings, I wanted to share something for all of us in this boat.

In the midst of my feelings and embarrassment that I did not match, I feel a sense of anger. Not anger like to go and hit or assault someone, but a feeling that program directors are controlling our lives and holding us hostage. I feel like I'm a good person, I do well with patients, do well patient notes, and just as my friends I too could do well in residency, but why me? Am I to give up and allow program directors and others on these committees to control my life? I have spent the last 2 years hoping to match, and now I am at the end of my rope. I can't continue year after year to place my future in the hands of program directors, at some point I have to move on. But before I do, my advice to all that are in the same boat as me....do not give up. I will not give up. Failing to match for a 2nd time has been the biggest punch to my stomach and my mind in years, and through this I truly believe GOD is attempting to make me into a better person. I am using this failure to match as motivation I've never felt before. I've registered for Step 3, and will be giving the exam this July, and I am going to work harder than I've ever before. I've sent out applications to a few hospitals to do observerships, and I've even contacted a previous hospital and doctor where I rotated and asked if I may come back to work with him again. At this point I have nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain.

To everyone reading this, if you are feeling down and depressed and feel like quitting, believe me I am there with you. Having to look at family members and members of the family of your significant other after you didn't match a 2nd time is simply embarrassing. But through this I will continue to fight, and so should you. Do what you have to for the upcoming year that you too are a fighter, that in the face of adversity and program directors and others doubting whether you are a good candidate, that in fact you are. We are doctors, and we didn't get here over night. I challenge everyone who did not match to look deep inside yourselves and continue to fight like myself. Let's show these programs that we too belong. Sometimes through adversity we come out better individuals on the other end, and by GOD we will succeed in matching next year. Good luck to everyone Smile
Hi, diverticulosis, you have the right attitude. There are more applicants than the residency spots, so statistically, not everyone will walk out a winner, that is just the fact. When I had failures in my life, my pastor told me - 'if your way has not worked, maybe you should try god's way', so I let it go, I start to appreciate the things I already have in my life, faith is close your eyes and open your heart, and from that point on, matched or not matched becomes less important to me, and amazingly things started to work out for me - by god's grace. So have the correct attitude towards life is definitely the key to success. May you find success and peace in the future.
Thank you salvation, I appreciate those comments. I find my self to be pretty religious and spiritual, and for me GOD is telling me it just wasn't my time. I just know that better things are ahead for me, so I'm going to continue to work hard. Thanks for the comments though I wish you well Smile
Hi, diverticulosis

I have somewhat similar story to yours except my scores are way lower than yours with a CS attempt...US college grad and US citizen...mother of a 1 year old...2nd match...I was not ECFMG certified during the first match...and had not taken CS the 2nd time so I shouldn't really be surprised for not have any IVs last year ( I had one in peds which was a shock) but none this year was a disappointment as I applied very broadly.
anywayz so I have started studying for step 3 as well and will be taking it in june or july as well....so I thought maybe we can keep in touch with our studying...where are you planning on starting...I have started with mtb.
Well written....I feel your pain buddy. I was in your position this time last year & what pained me most was facing my wife & in laws. I felt like a failure but I never gave up.
Your come back plan sounds good especially plans to write step 3 and do more observaships but I must point out that you should plan stepping out of your comfort zone this time. Even if it means borrowing money, pls do but I strongly believe that it will pay off. Look into doing a 6 months observaship in places that have a residency program or shortage of doctors like new Mexico.
I have 2 senior colleagues ( 2003 grads) with low scores. They both got observaship in NM, moved there for 7 months and shared accommodation. They lost their jobs but they matched. Though it's not guaranteed but the risk is worth it.
Good luck
Hi md101, sorry to hear that you didn't match. And especially that you are a mother of a young baby I can't imagine what you must be feeling. It really is a horrible feeling I know, but we'll overcome it don't worry. I'm also starting with MTB, I have my old MTB 3 I used for Step2 CK, but I also ordered the new one which is coming in on Monday. I also have the Kaplan Step 3 videos so I'll be watching those as well, and of course U World. I am going to start this Monday, and hope to give the exam no later than the end of July.

We can def. stay in touch, we are both in the same boat and I hope that both of us, and everyone else who didn't match, will be here next year celebrating.
Thanks chuckkk, I appreciate your comments. I'm in the same position, having to face the parents of my fiance and having to tell them I didn't match after such high hopes. But your're right I may have to step out of my comfort zone, I just want to make sure what I do is really helpful towards getting residency. This upcoming year I'm going for psych, that's it. Can you tell me more about the obs in NM? Was it for IM or psych? If it's a good experience and can help I'm willing to do anything. Thanks bud.
@ diverticulosis...please let me know if there is a big difference between the new mtb3 and the old one because I am using an old one and don't know if I should get a new one if its not much different!
@ md101, yea I don't think that there's much difference between the 2 except for some added material for the new format of the exam. But I'll let you know when the book comes in Smile
@diverticulosis & @md101, I am in the same boat as you. I am starting UW step 3 from this monday,I finished MTB3 once and also looking for observerships, we have to make smart decisions now where to go in terms of getting observership/ research....its all getting confusing to me. My friends are saying to do MPH.
Passing step 3 with a good score is clear to me but rest of it in terms of improving our CV, I am still trying to figure out which path to take, may God help us & give us the right opportunities which will lead to residency. Lets keep in touch.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »