Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some thoughts for those who didn't match.. - diverticulosis
Hi all

I've been following this thread for a while and reading everyone's comments just makes me feel a lil better. I am also a 2nd year applicant and did not match this year...well I didn't even have a single IV Sad(. I mostly applied in Psych because that's exactly what I wanna do.....I have passed all 3 steps with low to average scores and I've 2 months of externship in Psych and I am currently doing research at UCSF( not sure if this helps because I tried making connections, but no way they are Img friendly at all). I feel like I need more clinical exp?? What you guys think??? Diverticulosis...i see here that you have post a few observerships places in which I am also considering in applying. Missla, Jsudeep, MitchMD, Faith and everyone else who has been contributing towards this thread, thank you very much for the positivity and encouraging attittude while keeping our spirits and motivation up especially in these down times. Congratulations @Mitch_MD...you inspire me Smile. If you guys don't mind can can we exchange emails or we could open a new thread Psych2016...i would like to keep connected with all the nice people on this thread Smile

ps..most of you must be wondering I barely post...yes i admit...im one of the quiet observers and super busy mom as I got 2 boys....and my 13 year old is like a sports maniac...and im doing full time research 5x/week.so im always on the run to drop him to bbal and taekwondo practices with a lil 5 year old. Life if tough for all of us!!! In one way or another, we all have the same goal here and so lets just do this once again...We can do it!!! Wink
Hi usmlefear - I'm with you.

This was my 2nd year applying - I had 6IVs out of the 30 programs I applied to. Didn't match. Should've prepared better for IVs.

Stoked for the next year 'cus I'll be working (finally got a GC) & will be able to afford to apply to a lot more programs.

Also getting ready to do observer-ships & update my LoRs for next year.

This journey is frustrating my friends, but lets keep on going 'cus going back is not an option.

Is anyone else looking at doing anything else? Pharma companies have a lot of positions open & they pay the bills until match happens.
usmlefear - I wish I had a 13 year old I was driving around to football games. Kids are great & keep you grounded & happier.
@leesooman....wow! its great at least you were able to get 6 Ivs out of 30 programs...thats darn good so I guess the IV skills maybe needs to be polish...its not like I know much since i have not gotten a single IV...well do you have any psych obsevership exp? please share or any recommendation if you have any would be great..yes this journey is absolutely frustrating esp when you have people depending on you..well yes its fun with kids at least i spare my weekend at the basketball tournaments and cherish my life that way....cus otherwise...this stupid thoughts will just eat you alive!!! Sad( btw i remember you from step 3 forum i believe... Smile
Guys , I am feeling like same as you. This was my third match, did not work out, this year three interview in IM, but no luck, feeling horrible even my wife now doubting about my ability, now I don't have to cry , tear coming at the corner of eyes by its own. I have never felt like this before my entire life. Should I quite and change my career?
@diverticulosis thank you for your kind words. I have read many stories in this forum and each and every story is moving,, I cried many times reading those stories. and I am sure that we only know tip of the iceberg of those struggles.I am sorry that you didn't match but I am sure one day will come and when you look back in life you feel proud of yourself that you didn't give up easily.
@salvation_within I have applied in neurology. I don't mind trying in psychiatry but I will have to start all over again, do you think it is a good idea if I stick around in neurology and do research work or change to psychiatry?
@ Diver : Thank you for the awesome post, just so you know that this was my 3rd time attempting to match and DID NOT match again. I took my step 3 last year and thought it would help, but clearly it did not. I will not give up inshAllah and will try again this year to improve my cv even more. Lets not give up Smile)
hi usmlefear - I was on step3 forum. Took it & happily passed. Hasn't made a difference this year. Maybe next year will be a different story. I haven't done any observerships but I did have 2 years of USCE 'cus I'm from the carib.
Hi, @examck, if you want to try psychiatry, your neurology training is not a waste, during pgy1 year of psychiatry, you will rotate 2 month at neurology department, i.e:
http://icahn.mssm.edu/departments-and-in...ules/pgy-1
Also, the yearly administered residency in training exam for psychiatry - they call it PRITE (https://www.acpsych.org/prite) is comprised of 30% Neurology and 70% psychiatry exam content, so your training in Neurology will come in handy if you do go down this path. Furthermore, the entity that issues board certification for neurology and psychiatry is the same entity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bo..._Neurology
Finally, there is an topic that crosses bounds between the two areas: Behavioral Neurology & Neuropsychiatry, here is a detail info on this fellowship from Uni of Colorado:
http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleg...ioral.aspx
you have to be either a neurologist or psychiatrist to apply. So in your case, depends on how you spin your story in your PS, I trust you have the talent to spin that story towards psychiatry - given the information above, if you so choose to. Best wishes to your future endeavor.
@leesooman
I remember we have similar scores (cs 2nd attempt). You got a good number of IVs this time given the # of applications. What did you add to your CV? I remember you attended conferences, did that help? I also have 2 years of USCE so I plan on research more this year, although I have no idea on how to start.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »