Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some thoughts for those who didn't match.. - diverticulosis
@chuckkk, Can you please tell us which NM hospital is offering observerships. I looked at NM teaching hospitals, the residency programs have all AMGs as their residents. Are they IMG friendly? Some hospital websites are saying no more observerships offered.Any help appreciated, thanks.
@ faith282, I'm sorry you didn't match either I know what you are going through. You're right we have to be smart about what we do in the next few months regarding research/obs/etc. For me the most important thing is to get Step 3 out of the way as soon as possible, I'm looking at a late June/early July time frame.

I've contacted a few hospitals for obs (I sent an application to Albert Einstein in Philadelphia), and Im hoping to hear from them because they have a residency program there in Psych so for me thats a good option. I've also contacted Columbia Univ and I received an email response from the coordinator detailing the observership/research opportunity at Columbia. It's $2000 a month to go there, but at this point I'm not even going to look at the money aspect; if it will help to get residency next year I'm all for it.

In terms of an MPH, i was in a US program for an MPH this past year which I've decided to end. To be honest it may help but for me it wasn't even brought up during my interview. No mention of it at all. So not sure if it really made a difference, but also MPH programs are far more expensive than doing obs/research. I dunno I ended my MPH, but others might disagree.
Hello dear- So sorry to hear. I am a quiet observer on this forum and I know your posts.
I have to wonder. Your scores seem fine.
Perhaps CS fail x 1 is a red flag, but if should be offset by the fact you're a US citizen. Are there other red flags? What was your clinical experience in the US? What sort of rotations? Any Research?

I agree this is unfair. My dream was surgery, which I had 1 IV. and a few Family IV as backup. I have a feeling in my gut I ended up matching into family... even with scores I thought were very competitive.
The game has changed and PDs really do want a whole package it seems. Please keep your head high.

God Bless
@ Diverticulosis
Well written. I share your pain. This was my third try with scores way lower than yours and cs attempt and I did not match. The first 2 matches I was devastated. But after doing some soul searching and realizing more that God is the one who has the ultimate control, just like what salvation_within said, I let it go. So matched or no match has become a little less important. I am saying I wasn't hurt not matching? No. I am saying I will give up? No. What I am saying is that I have learned and gained some wisdom during this process. Program directors do not have the ultimate control. God has. If it is your time, it would be no matter what. So what I have done is carrying on with what I have. I have found a job to keep me busy, while I will be doing other things like observerships or research to improve my CV for next match. Goodluck all, and keep your hopes and head high. We will match some day when God says we will.
Hi jd, yea I think you're right the whole package is key. For me I didn't have any red flags except for 1 failed CS, all of my clinical rotations were in the US as I went to a caribbean medical school. And the school I attended as a good track record for residency placements so that can't be the case. Not sure what to make of it, but I feel iike I'm close to accomplishing my dream so I'll continue to fight. I wish you well for residency Smile
I have my story to share here. I didn't match and have the same boat with you. Thsi is my first yr match and got 3 ivs. 2 IVs went well as I thought, I hoped for the best, but I got the worst, I didnt match. I am IMG old grad 2003, steps scores good (1- 230, 2 - 252, CS first attempt, step 3 - 224). All first attempts. I have some obsevership and research exp. US citizen as well. MPH too.
I applied to IM and some FM. All 3 ivs are IM, no single FM I got. I dont know how to go on for next year. I am old grad so I tried hard to finish step 3 which I thought it helps me catch the spot. But not for me at least. Very horrible down now. Very confusing what to do next. More observership? Applied broad on specialities next year?

Pls keep trying your best and hope for the best friends. God creats way for us. Sometimes we can fail, but there might be a light who knows.
Thank you. It would be maybe just bad, terrible luck on your part. Which is simply too tragic. I am glad you will keep trying. Maybe improving a personal statement next year to show your resiliency. Good luck to you too.
@ missla: really good point I love ur comments thank u I def. share your pain also and know how you feel now. And you're right, when it's our time and if it were mean to be than GOD will let it happen, I'm sure of it. But thank you for those comments, they were really good. If you don't mind me asking what specialties did u apply for this year and last? I applied to only family this year, but next year I will be going for psych. What about u?
Hi kls, sorry to hear about your story, it really does suck that after all of this effort it's not coming to fruition. I know who you feel just keep your head up, I think more than anything it is your YOG that is hurting your application. For me I think it's my CS attempt, but in any case who knows what PD's are thinking. Something will work out for us, whether its residency or not, we're no less of human beings than our friends who matched. It was their time and not ours. But thanks for comments I wish you well Smile
I think in your situation you have good credentials and good CV. You need to get some STRONG CONTACTS that is the only way.

for an example, one lady that I know is doing a phd in public health and she is in 4th year of Phd program. She is doing oncology research with the pathology committee members.

Clinical research or basic research with some one who has lot of power with the committee members.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »