Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some thoughts for those who didn't match.. - diverticulosis
@diverticulosis

I remember I inquired in Univ of Louisville about an observership in psychiatry. Just email the PC. You have to pay as well. That place is not IMG friendly but they also interview those people who went there for an observership. They give LORs and it is a univ-based program.

Also Griffin Memorial in OK also offers observership. There is also a not yet fully accredited program in Bothell WA that offers externship , name is Puget Sound Psychiatric Center, you pay there as well.

And to those who didnt match this year, dont give up if you know you havent given your all. I am talking about financial thing too, you really have to gamble. Lucky for you, if you find places for free but that is reality. For us IMGs we need to have our CVs to be competitive. I believe IMG visa needing applicants will need to boost their CV more because you have to show that you are worth recruiting as compared to someone who has the same credentials as you are.Because these programs dont wanna take the risk that a visa needing applicant will be denied in the US embassy, and with that, they will be short with residents for the starting year.

Like in my previous post, I am a testament of someone who was able to match with not so competitive scores. I guess I have done a lot of ways and strategies to look for people who will help find USCE. With my knowledge in FM and Psych, Step 3 is really a must for IMGs. Not much with FM, research is not much with them either, only in psychiatry. FM is very much particular into USCE, CS pass 1st attempt and being a recent grad. Because in FM, you compete with Carribean grads and DO grads. so YOG is a huge factor.

I dont know about MPH, but in my opinion, it would definitely boost your app but doing only MPH to boost your cv this year wont be enough. PDs want that your medical knowledge is continuous. They dont like gaps. They always ask me during interviews what I have been doing in detail because I have a lot in my CV they get confused I think, lol.

This is my 3rd time and Im so blessed I matched this time around. Feel free to ask questions if you may. Im just paying forward.
@ surabhi: Thanks for the coments I appreciate them Smile

@ mitch_md: Thanks for all of ur help Smile I really do appreciate it, I actually sent an application to Albert Einstein yesterday, and I sent an email to the Univ. of Lousville program and I forgot his name but I got a response saying if I have passed all of my Steps on the first attempt then to contact him further. My CS fail stops me right there I think, so I didn't respond back. Kinda bummed about that because I know a girl who went there for 3 months and got 3 different letters of rec. Would have been a great opportunity.

I'm so happy that you matched, it's stories like urs that give me hope. As of now I'm going to knock step 3 out of the way, and go for more obs around where i live. I live in the DC/MD area, have you heard of any obs/rotation sites here? I know St. Elizabeth has their externship but do you know of anything else? I've heard of Providence Hospital allowing students/docs to come, any ideas? Thanks.
In my expirience if you have avg scores, old YOG and an attempt I feel like you should just not pursue this path. I have spent close to $10,000 for something which I will never get...my YOG is 2009, scores in 230s and 220s for step 1,2 and 3, no visa requirement(EAD) and 1 yr externships. applied to IM, psych, peds and Fm only in 2 states. 5 ivs. No match or prematch. I don't think I can improve my application any further in the next year...I wish I had never started at all. I wish I had started a MPH from a good university than at least you have a qualification which can let you apply for a job. Getting ecfmg certified doesn't do anything for your job prospects. In the end what matters is letting go gracefully of the things that are just not meant for you. Of course I'm not telling everyone to give up...this is my sad situation and I don't think it will change next year.
For those with a recent YOG even if they have avg scores or those with 230+ scores and no attempts...ow old defineatly advise to apply again.
@divertiulosis

I think there is a DC VA Hospital Psychiatry Externship. Not sure if they still have it, but I do remember it in the past. Good Luck! I know how you feel. I wasn't successful matching in psychiatry this year. Had 3 interviews. I guess life is just full of surprises. Don't give up.
cesar, It is only right to encourage others.
But I do agree on some of your points.
From Close contacts, it would seem that for us IMGs, having only one red flag is enough... more than that and it is very hard. Not only that , but even with one red flag, other things must be exceptional.
And, apparently, no real USCE (as in a true rotation in a hospital) is now considered a "red flag".

Who knows. I wish us all the best.
@diverticulosis

I believe that DC VA Medical Center is still doing that but I heard the lady doctor prefers IMGs from India & Pakistan. Aside from St Elizabeth that is the only place I know. Have you tried calling or emailing people from your medical school who are doctors here? That's what I did too. I even called my relatives who know doctors who can help me too.

I know you are in the DC/MD/VA area but NY I believe is not gonna be a prob for you so try Zucker Hillside and Jamaica or Maimonides. I used to live in VA and I believe you have a lot of possibilities there being in the nation's capital

@cesar

In those specialties that you have applied, do you have USCE in those too? Programs dont like multiple specialties in your CV because it would make them wonder , which one is which is your backup specialty. We have the same YOG and way much lower scores than you.But I know someone who only applied in IM last year and didnt match with 3 ivs. He applied in psychiatry this year but time around having been to a psychiatry externship. He very much prepared in his PS and in his 2 ivs in explaining why he switched from IM to psych .
Well I have extrernships in all the specialities that I applied in and with peds and psych, the letters were specific for that speciality. I suppose programs don't like EAD either because it's only for 3-4 yrs although it can be renewed but programs may panic that perhaps it won't be renewed. A PD even called me up asking me for proof of how long I can stay in the US , I gave her my visa statement which states that im here for at least 7 more years(I'm on g4 dependent visa ) but they were very hesitant about it . I will still be on EAD next year so my chances won't improve. I can't apply for j or h1b because legally I can work in the US with this visa. As far as the contacts are concerned I feel they can defineatly help you and an IV but getting a positions merely due to a contact is unlikely. Although the IV candidates had similar scores( very few had step3) but a more recent YOG.
I think people with avg scores but no attempts and a YOG after 2011 should defineatly apply again..they have a good chance.

@cesar: i completely agree with u. i've actually applied for jobs while waiting for residency and it seems that ECFMG certification means absolutely jack to employers; most don't even know what that means. really sucks.

@ siso: thanks for your help, I had looked into the DCVA hospital but after hearing from a friend of mine I didn't apply. Like mitch_md stated they prefer img's from india and pakistan, and I believe both attendings are very old women from India. Apparently they talk down to the externs and even made 1 extern cry over a petty issue. But thanks for your help, I wish u well Smile

@mitch_md: hey, i contacted jamaica hopsital regarding their externship but I didn't get any response from them, that was about 3 days ago. Did u ever apply or hear from them? I haven't contacted anyone from my school yet as they seem to be spread over the country, but I have a cousin in peds in maryland I may have to contact. I also knew about the DCVA externship but I was told by someone who was there not to go there, it really wasn't a good experience so I didn't apply. Ughhh this sucks. Have u heard anything about the Columbia research/obs program? It's $2k a month but I'm wondering if its worth it, any ideas?
@diverticulosis

I didnt apply in jamaica. You just gonna have to be willing to move around the country. I really gambled with regards to finding places outside my home state.
I heard about bad reviews in that place but I also heard people who went there and got LORs and matched. i believe it depends on the person. I have dealt and worked with difficult people during my USCE experience but I survived.It wasnt a walk in the park, I just became resilient and told myself to never give up and be strong because you are begging for US LORs because that is what we need anyway and not for the learning experience. We bust up our ass and pay these crazy fees for the USCE just because for their LORs.

I think if you get accepted in Columbia, because it is a prestigious university, it would definitely boost your app. PDs love branded places too. If you get in to those, it just shows your hardwork and perseverance. Again, it is like a gamble too spending those much money.
@diverticulosis. Hey man I've always enjoyed your posts.and I'm sure you'll match next year. I think forming connections will be the most Important thing now Along with step 3. One of my friends who has much lower board scores tHan you ended up matching through connections. He worked his butt off for a year doing research at a program with an Im residency and he got.to know the pd and the faculty really well. he only applied there and he matched. Best of luck to you man !
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »